Faulty bedroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I turned bedroom light on and bulb blew, changed it and did not work still, i have changed pendant and switch but still wont work? there is power to the ceiling though and all other lights in house work. Please help!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Do you have a multimeter, and know how to use it safely?

one assumes your using a known good bulb ?

once had a pack of ten with non working

Sponsored Links
Big Gav,

What sort of lamp is it? That is - is it a standard 'bulb' or a transformer supplied fitting etc?

Whoa back up a bit, firstly verify the new bulb is ok by putting it in another pendant, it is not uncommon to have a broken filament out of the box

I know the bulb to be working because i took the complete light fixing from the other bedroom ceiling and tried that, this is what is confusing me?

If you're certain that the bulb and fitting are fine, then you're confused merely because you have no means of testing for a supply, and fault-finding what you've done.

I will get it checked, but what would be the most probable cause as it has been fine for years, then to suddenly just stop working like that.

Before you touched any wiring I would have put my money on the new bulb being faulty. Faites vos jeux!

Since you've changed the switch and pendant I would say all bets are off. It could be anything. Rien de va plus. :(

Is this light controlled by a dimmer?The dimmer could have possibly been damaged by the lamp going.
If not there is an outside chance that the normal plate switch could have failed or there is a loose connection somewhere but if you are not 'au fait' with the use of a multimeter then I'm afraid it's time to seek the services of a competant electrician

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back