faulty cooker fuse ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our cooker main oven stopped working about 3 weeks ago and we have been using the top oven until last night. every time we switch the cooker oven or ring on it trips the fuse circuits protected by RCD fuse. which also trips when we press the test button. if we reset the fuse the power light comes on, on the cooker but as soon as you try to use it it goes. any ideas, is it a faulty appliance or is the fuse the problem. any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Cooker elements are hygroscopic (Hope that's right word) they absorb moisture from the air. Because of the heat they can never be sealed fully.

When any appliance using mineral insulated elements is left unused it tends to absorb moisture and trip the RCD.

Once switched on and warmed up it will drive out moisture and be OK again.

Part of post removed as interpretation seems to present danger.

our cooker main oven stopped working about 3 weeks ago and we have been using the top oven until last night. every time we switch the cooker oven or ring on it trips the fuse circuits protected by RCD fuse. which also trips when we press the test button. if we reset the fuse the power light comes on, on the cooker but as soon as you try to use it it goes. any ideas, is it a faulty appliance or is the fuse the problem. any thoughts appreciated.

As already stated, almost certainly a problem with the elements inside the cooker. I think the moisture theory presented is more than a little dubious, however. Either you need an appliance engineer to come and look at the oven and possibly replace the elements, or purchase a completely new oven.

If it's an expensive oven that you'd rather not replace unless absolutely sure that's where the problem lies, it will take a good electrician less than half an hour to test the RCD and associated wiring.

Sponsored Links
his main oven stopped working 3 weeks ago... now the whole thing has stopped working?

its knackered..!!!!

GaryMo and electronicsuk your comments however valid only serve to now show how it could be repaired in a dangerous fashion.

I will agree my post may have pointed in that direction which as you have pointed out is wrong.

But your posts have filled in all the gaps and now even the non electrical minded can work out the method after you have spelt it out to them.

Please remove posts giving the method before someone with out the knowledge to look after their own safety gives it a try.

Posts removed but Eric, please don't try blame others for what you shouldn't have suggested on a DIY forum.

OK just electronicsuk now.
Yes it went through my mind. But I didn't say it. You like electronicsuk also had same thought but private message was the way or some comment like "Are you saying what I think you are saying".

Not so much you your comment that was reasonable but electronicsuk spelt it out and changed what was an obscure reference to something anyone could work out.

OK guilty as charged I should have not made an obscure reference. But seeing my mistake to high light it so all could work it out was not really the best option.

OK just electronicsuk now.
Yes it went through my mind. But I didn't say it. You like electronicsuk also had same thought but private message was the way or some comment like "Are you saying what I think you are saying".

Not so much you your comment that was reasonable but electronicsuk spelt it out and changed what was an obscure reference to something anyone could work out.

Sorry Eric, but your comment was nothing like obscure. Normally you give sound advice on this forum, so this is by no means a personal attack on you, but I have absolutely no intention of editing any of my posts in this topic. By doing so, all you have left us with is a thread that now makes very little sense.

If you didn't want dangerous information to be given out via this forum, you should have put more thought into what you were typing before pressing the 'submit' button.

Read through my posts and you will see that nowhere have I endorsed your idea of ***Removed*** (yup, that makes sense now, thanks Moderator 8 ) quite the opposite, so I see no need for any further action.

You jumped to conclusions and added 1 and 1 and got 11.
I did not in my post suggest doing anything dangerous. However since I realised there was a dangerous option I added one safety comment.
Which was read by two people in a way I had not considered and the valid comments were made. I therefore removed my comments so no one in the future could read the extra into it and try to undertake the repair in a dangerous fashion.

If you now read through this thread there is one comment remaining which details the dangerous practice. I have done my bit to correct. Seems rather pointless to point out how my post can be miss read then not correct one's own.

I am dyslexic and I do make mistakes and will admit and correct where I can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back