Faulty PIR for lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you don't mind me barging in on your post.

My existing PIR looks as though it's going faulty. Started switching itself on/off randomly. So have been looking to get a better quality one.

I currently have this one from screwfix: http://www.screwfix.com/p/180-dual-level-standalone-pir/67094

It's fixed to the soffit and is used to switch four 6w GU10 LED fittings on when people approach the house.

I saw the Clipsal PIR on screwfix and apart from the price was concerned that it cannot be attached to the soffit? Looks as though it needs to be attached to a wall? http://www.screwfix.com/p/clipsal-infrascan-110-outdoor-pir/31109

Is there anything else people would recommend for mounting to the soffit?

Sponsored Links
my first couple of thoughts is thats a hi-lo PIR, running LEDs, possible compatibility issue?
My second one, is that with it being a hi-lo is that its possibly a solid state switch, with only 24W on it, theres no mention of a minimum load, but a call to the tech helpline would answer that for you.
last one, probably the first to try is resetting it (as suggested in the manual) turn it off for at least 5 mins.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the minimum load, but assumed it was ok with it not being mentioned in the instruction manual.

It has been running fine for over a year BUT I have only recently swapped to LEDs from CFLs which were 4 11w bulbs. So you could be correct.

I havn't tried a reset though I did power the PIR off when I changed the bulbs and it took longer than 5 mons to do . But I will give that a go also.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I'm going to call them today.

I reset the PIR last night and no difference.

If this PIR is not suitable for low load. What other options do I have??

in general, any PIR that has a relay, rather than a solid state switch, so most standard PIRs should be fine.

Hope I'm not too late, but get the clipsal if you can. It can be attached to a soffit. I am now on my third steinel PIR while the clipsal is still going strong and out performs every other make of PIR I've used (apart from maybe GJD)

Hope I'm not too late, but get the clipsal if you can. It can be attached to a soffit. I am now on my third steinel PIR while the clipsal is still going strong and out performs every other make of PIR I've used (apart from maybe GJD)

Will the clipsal work with just a 20w load?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back