Faulty shocking plastic switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3-way lighting switch and a standard dual switched electrical socket that seem to have the same problem. There is leaking current from the plastic portions of the switches. It is not static. I can use a neon tester screwdriver and the light from the neon will increase the closer I hold it to the switch (like a little rheostat) until its maximum if I wedge it into the crack. There is NO voltage present at the earth/mounting screws. Measured with an analogue multimeter, I read about 5-15 volts. My wife HAS felt this (I thought she was crazy for quite a while) and I finally got zapped today.

In my little head, this can ONLY be a faulty switch, but because this has happened to both a light switch and an outlet, AND we are having random (or not so random) RCD trips, I wanted to get some advice. I am more than capable of replacing fittings, and indeed have replaced the double socket (I am going out to get a replacement SPDT switch as I didn't have one handy)

What can cause this? These are oldish, MK fittings. The house was a bodge job, and I have been making good, but I am worried there is something worse lurking.

Sponsored Links
Possibly a poor quality of plastic, or something foreign getting into the mix...

We noticed upon a fault find one time that the plastic on some connector blocks were conducting slightly. Guessing a similar problem.

1. Do not reply on that neon screwdriver thing. They tell you lies and are not to be trusted.
Go rub it on your wife's nylon underwear for a bit and you soon see what I mean.

2. If you have a suspect faulty fitting just go and buy a new one.

3, If you still are not sure, or cannot cope, get a qualified electrican to check out your bodged installation.

Sponsored Links
There is leaking current from the plastic portions of the switches. It is not static. I can use a neon tester screwdriver and the light from the neon will increase the closer I hold it to the switch (like a little rheostat) until its maximum if I wedge it into the crack. There is NO voltage present at the earth/mounting screws. Measured with an analogue multimeter, I read about 5-15 volts.
It's not unusual to get a neon test screwdriver to light, or a high impedance voltmeter to show a voltage (relative to earth) when in close proximity to an electrical accessory, due to capacitive coupling - so those findings, in themselves, could just be 'normal'. However ....
... and I finally got zapped today. ... because this has happened to both a light switch and an outlet, AND we are having random (or not so random) RCD trips, I wanted to get some advice.
Given that, I think that the advice has to be that you should get an electrician to check things out, to make sure that nothing dangerous is going on.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back