FAULTY WASHER???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have started to get minor shocks from my washing machine. I have tested the earth wire with an electric screw driver and there seems to be a current running through it.. i may be stupid but this can't be right, can it????? HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but if you're getting a current through your earth wire then from what I know it isn't actually connected to earth which must be the problem first thing I'd do is check earth continuity and the voltage and current reading on the earth there must be a break somewhere

Remember electric screwdrivers pick up even the most minute currents

First of all. Stop using the appliance

Secondly, call in an appliance repair engineer to check out the machine

Thirdly follow the picture below re the screwdriver or ONLY use it to undo screws!!

At the same time, it is well worth checking the EFLI to that socket and whether you have PEB's to your incoming pipework.

Sponsored Links
best checking earthing in house and your protection you should never beable to get shock if everything is working right

Washing machines often have a mains filter built into them in an attempt to remove electrical noise.
In the event of an open circuit on the earth wire anywhere on the circuit this can pull the voltage up to around half the mains voltage (capacitive coupling).
First place to start would be to check the earth wire in the socket is nice and tight.
Do you have a multimeter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back