Favourite car

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Softus said:
chainsaw_masochist said:
Softus, was the Dutton Phateon a kit car and did it have a Ford (Kent) engine?
Yes - it was a kit car. I didn't build it, but such a bad job was done that in the end I rebuilt all of it except the wiring.

A friend of mine did exactly that....to a Trabant! :oops:

Softus said:
It had a Ford 'Pinto' 2.0 OHC engine, with twin 40 DCOEs, and made sh*t off a shovel look like treacle off a towel.

Since you mention the Kent Xflow, I built one of those from scratch to put in another Phaeton that my mate bought. A lot of care was put into that, including searching for a thick 711M block that could be bored out to 1760c, resulting in the highest bhp output that the tuner had seen on a stage 2 cam. Above about 3,000rpm that was nothing less than a rocket; so much so that exactly 24 hours after the new cylinder liners were run in the owner wrapped it around a tree, sprinkling the pathatically thin fibreglass over a 25 yard radius.

Ah, those were the days :D

So after boring out the X-flow block did you have to provide non-standard pistons? What was the bhp as a matter of interest? The power-to-weight ratio must have been phenomenal? Lucky the owner survived. Presumably the air bag worked? ;)

I am going to give a mate a hand in putting a Caterham Super Seven together in a few weeks time. He ordered it in kit form about three years ago prior to (conveniently) getting sent to work in Dubai. It's still technically in the delivery box in his garage. As far as I know the engine is of a standard tune; it's a 1.6 K-series. Hope this doesn't give rise to problems now that Rover's gone t1ts-up? :cry:

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
vokera80e said:
ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
which pub was the slapper in?mmmmmmm ;)

it was the white lion.and she still owes me 20-quid- :LOL:
20 quid.could have got a 2 for 1 price,was any sort of fish mentioned/included. :p[/quote]

She mentioned something about a fish supper..Then she said what's a lonely "SOUL" Doing in a "PLAICE" Like this.....i said it must be the aroma your giving off.it turned out later that her nickname was slack alice.

chainsaw_masochist said:
...I didn't build it, but such a bad job was done that in the end I rebuilt all of it except the wiring.
A friend of mine did exactly that....to a Trabant! :oops:
Blimey. :eek:

So after boring out the X-flow block did you have to provide non-standard pistons?
You betcha. Powermax, if I remember rightly, with a very brittle top ring (I broke two rings in fitting). Also the high-lift cam required some extra machining from the top of the pistons. Also stronger shell bearings. Also (the list goes on)...

What was the bhp as a matter of interest? The power-to-weight ratio must have been phenomenal? Lucky the owner survived. Presumably the air bag worked? ;)
I seem to remember it was 129 at the wheels - which wasn't half bad for an amatuer when compared to something like 135 at the flywheel for a Caterham built and tuned 1700 X flow. P-t-w was ludicrous. The car landed upside down in some woods, in the Autumn, so the impact was soft and leafy, although the roll bar was doubled over on the passenger side.

I am going to give a mate a hand in putting a Caterham Super Seven together in a few weeks time.
Excellent! I envy you the time and the opporuntity. ;)

Has to be my:

snow.jpg

Yes a Nissan Sunny!!

Gaz

Nissan - not only in last place but by 7 months... Nice tho' !

Mind you I haven't bought anything other than N since 1989 - astounding reliability never mind the width, feel the quality control.
Let's hope it rubs off onto Renault.
:D

Sponsored Links
Back