FCU for the Washing Machine & for the Dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just moved into a new house, and I am going to redo the Kitchen.

While I was redoing the Kitchen I was going to put in a single unswitched socket under the worktop, with an FCU above the worktop to switch the socket on or off. I am going to put in two of these, one for the washing machine & one for the dishwasher.

The washing machine & dishwasher are by the sink, one on each side of the sink.

Near the sink (about 1M away) is a double socket, which is powered by a double socket above the meter cupboard, and is on a 20amp MCB. The double socket near the sink also powers the outside socket. (It is not on a ring)

What I was going to do was, at the socket near the sink disconnect the cable that powers the outside socket, and then remove the cable for the outside socket from the back box.

Then flush mount the fcu for the washing machine next to the double socket near the sink, and power this fcu from the double socket near the sink.

Then I was going flush mount the other fcu on the wall near the back door, as this is near the space for the dishwasher.

The fcu for the dishwasher I was going to power from the fcu for the washing machine, and then connect the cable for the outside socket to the fcu for the dishwasher.

Then I was going connect one single unswitched socket (which will be under the worktop) to each of the two fcu's.

My Questions are: Is this way ok?, and Will the 20amp MCB be ok for the new load?

P.S. By the way the double socket near the sink will be used for the kettle.

Sponsored Links
you'll probablly get away with a 20A 2.5mm radial but if its not too much disturbance i'd be very tempted to upgrade to a 4mm 32A radial.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
you'll probablly get away with a 20A 2.5mm radial but if its not too much disturbance i'd be very tempted to upgrade to a 4mm 32A radial.

It would probley be quite a lot disturbance to upgrade to a 4mm 32A radial, as the cable is hidden in the ceiling, and the Cu is a old model.

if refitting the kitchen i'd leave it as it is but (assuming liftable or get underable wooden floors) take the end of the radial to a jb near the floor behind the kitchen units.

that way if it proves inadequate you at least have the option of turning it into a ring.

mdbalson said:
... the cable is hidden in the ceiling, and the CU is a old model.

Maybe today they are, but that needs changing.

Mod Rupert said:
Those pictures are so BIG that they are going to be
a problem to members with slow connections. Hope
you don't mind, I have changed the images to URLs
that members can click on.

If you can resize and post a much smaller one then
by all means do. I see you are using .bmp files. You
may find .jpg files are smaller.
jpeg makes a real mess of diagrams, use png (or at a push gif) and make sure you keep the color depth as low as you can.

Doesnt look like a new house to me. Maybe you mean the house is new to you? I spy a credit meter, is this a rental property?

TTC

Taylortwocities said:
Doesnt look like a new house to me. Maybe you mean the house is new to you? I spy a credit meter, is this a rental property?

TTC

Yes the house is new to me, and yes it is a credit meter as the house used to rented out by the old owner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back