FCU in lounge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my lounge I have an FCU on the wall, there is no fuse in it but it has wire coming in and going out of it, does any body have any idea of the purpose of this? I orginally assumed it was a switch for the fire but upon removal of the fire no supply was found. The house was built in 2002.

Sponsored Links
What height, could be for a light if high up that's no longer connected - maybe an external one or a socket that's somewhere that also is no longer in use. Do you know if it's live still?

It's at the same height as a low level double socket and tv point about 2 foot away.
There is nothing in the vicinity that it could have been used for, we've been in the house since new so I know there has been no wall lights, internal or external. I don't know if it's live or not, the wires in and out seem to be wired into the same points though.

If both cables are connected to the input side, and nothing on the load side, then it's most probably on the ring and was put the to cater for some possible future requirement.

Is it on an outside rear wall - perhaps it was intended to enable a feed for garden lighting, pond pump etc to easily be provided? Or to feed an outside socket, or something like that?

Sponsored Links
It is on an external wall but a gable wall of a semi and not garden facing. I can't remember exactly as it was only a cursory look last night but I'm sure the cables were red/red in the same point and black/black together.

There has never been nor is anything nearby that has required an fcu, I believe it is wired onto the ring main and left for future use, for what reason I don't know, is it common practice in new build homes to do this? hopefully when the spark comes to wire in my new electric fire this fcu already in place will be perfect!

Saben said:
hopefully when the spark comes to wire in my new electric fire this fcu already in place will be perfect!
i think youve hit the nail on the head there!

looking at a friends newbuild it has such an FCU to provide provision for an electric fire (although they have the fire on a trailing lead into a socket elsewhere!)

Same in my Dad's new house, FCU fitted in both Lounge's next to the fireplace, one is already in use by the fitted electric effect fire and the one is currently unused, but ready should they decide to fit a fire in there.

All the best
Dan

As you mention your house is a semi, have you asked your neighbour, or others on the street to see if they have one and know what it's for?

I have one next to my fireplace as well. House is about 15 years old. I could never figure out what it was for so I just ignore it. :D

Thanks for all the replies, I'm pleasently suprised that the house builder has for once made something easy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back