Feather edge board roofing shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok trying to make a silk purse out of the pigs ear of my summer house the wife purchased for me to build. Well its meant to be a playhouse for the kids they called it bird cottage, i call it bird-****-shed.

Its a disgrace, it's made by 'gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk' and it uses the lowest possible grade timber, structurally inadequate, on top of the lowest grade construction and finish.

Rant over i decided to ditch the roll of felt and try and add some character to this shameful £475 online scam.

Cedar shingles nice but no i can't face the total bill. Estimated £260 + my time to finish.

Therefore looking at feather edged timber board roofing.

New to this so not really sure where to start i mean im aware you lay from the bottom up of course and feather edge facing in towards roof! but what about prep. Layer of breathable membrane first i guess? What about ridge how do i cover that? Any pointers or guides most appreciated.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
do not even think off feather edge
there is nill chance off it being water tight unless the roof slop is 45% or more and you have a 50% overlap

it will twist warp and crack it will let the water through quite a bit

if you are talking about an actual feather edge roofing system ignore my comments as i have never used such a system

Thanks big-all

Well that's what i was thinking of using yes.. :(

I was inspired as our local park has a oak framed shelter using feather edge boarding over TnG and it seems to be fine.. Hmm is that a 'proper' feather edge roofing system?

So my choice is cedar shingles or ****ty felt?

Sponsored Links
I believe it is OK for an open shelter that is not required to be truly weathertight.

It might look nice if you nail it onto a board or felt underlayer. You will need counterbattens to prevent detritus building up.

Ok i took some pics last night of the shelter it's over a sandpit. Just a side note whats wrong with this world, as im taking the pics of the roof im aware kids are playing in the sandpit beneath i even took my sunglasses off just to try and look as normal as possible ie not trying to hide my face looking like some sneaky peado, not that i look like one of course! Anyway...

Here's some pics of what im on about, it's watetight, well there's no stains on the inside of the TnG cladded ceiling. And i was under it the other day for 20mins with it ****in down outside. Is that softwood feather boards? Anything special about them, how come they haven't curled or lifted?

lvSmi.jpg

XzxxE.jpg

vwkCw.jpg

you can see from the water stains on the inside edges off the roof timbers that it leaks in several places

a nice piece of WBP ply, felted and counterbattened, would be waterproof, and the featheredge would have protected the felt and looked nice.

Get some WBP ply and then get some some slate from a reclaim yard. That would look gorgeous. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

If the kit quality is fragile, you need to keep the weight down, so deck it then felt shingles. The shelter you picture looks to have tanalised shiplap and fairly new. It will split once its done a seasonal change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back