Fence height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im debating on installing a 1' gravel board with a 5' fence panel and a 1' trellis. Would a 2' trellis make it more secure or bit ott. House backs onto a park, but the council's slatted concrete fencing has horizontal slats to step onto unfortunately.
Any views?

Sponsored Links
Gripperrods generally do the trick I find. Or get a strip of wood, bang a load of 2 inch nails through it, then fix it to the top of the fence with the nails pointing up.

Or use anti-vandal paint, re-applied yearly. They wont want to get that on their Kappa tracksuits. ;)

have you got a problem with people climbing over? vandals? what problem are you trying to solve? And where is the councils fence in relation to yours?

Sponsored Links
I think the nail idea will see me getting nicked! Basically theres been a few burglaries in the area as the houses back onto a small park. Maybe CCTV/alarm would be a better way to go but more ££ but good deterrents. The council fence is right behind my fence, its an old concrete slatted fence with horizontal slats.

The anti climb paint sounds like a god idea. Maybe on council fence with a sign, but dont know if Council would approve.

Im debating on installing a 1' gravel board with a 5' fence panel and a 1' trellis. Would a 2' trellis make it more secure or bit ott. House backs onto a park, but the council's slatted concrete fencing has horizontal slats to step onto unfortunately.
Any views?

2m or 6ft7" is the highest permitted for a rear fence away from the public highway without planning permission

Yes thats an idea.... is CCTV quite reasonable nowadays?

my idea was just to put the signs up - without the expense of the equipment. :D

If you are worried about burglars, ask your local crime prevention officer around for a chat

Tony

Any views?

2m or 6ft7" is the highest permitted for a rear fence away from the public highway without planning permission

Indeed.

but how about a 6" concrete board, 5' panel, trellis to bring you up to around 2m and then a nice climbing rose - that'd make climbing over interesting.

Ah yes would save alot of expense if I just use the signs. Thing is my neighbours is 8ft including the trellis. It was there when he moved in. Im thinking 1ft g/board, 5ft panel, 1ft trellis. Anti climb paint on top of park fence and an alarm at some stage. Maybe some rubber (legal) spikes for good measure.

Ah yes would save alot of expense if I just use the signs. Thing is my neighbours is 8ft including the trellis. It was there when he moved in. Im thinking 1ft g/board, 5ft panel, 1ft trellis. Anti climb paint on top of park fence and an alarm at some stage. Maybe some rubber (legal) spikes for good measure.

good luck to you and you neibours :D :D ;)

as long as no one complains[draws it to the councils attention]
the problem doesnt exist ;)

buuuut if for any reason anyone complains no matter how petty you will have to reduce the height along with anyone else they choose to notice :rolleyes:

did a job for bernardos ages ago there cars kept getting broken in to so we erected a metal fence around it (with the top of the the fence 3spiked).
it worked a treat till someone threatened to sue them when they injured themselves climbing over it and got called back a few monthes later to grind all the spikes off the fence. mad or what ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back