Fence Laws!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the fence between my house and the neighbours is the neighbours property (on the side in question) it blew down in the windy winter, the neighbours promptly removed the remains.

now time is getting on a bit and we would like them to replace it for but havent spoke to them about it yet (they are very strange to deal with i could go into a long story about the back fence but I'll resist writing it yet). before i do speak to them i have a question: is there any law, or other obligation, on there side to replace the fence that blew away?

Sponsored Links
Law there may be different - but if it's their fence on their land then - no, they don't have to replace it, but you can put one up on your land if you like (subject to height/planning restrictions).

on my deeds[1907] it says i must maintain a minimum of 4 ft fence but dosnt say what sort

so i suspect you need to check your deeds and check with your local council

and if you don't know the couple next door very well maybe they are renting!!!

deeds is the only thing that can force you, or indeed stop you from putting up a fence, however it is extremly rare for anyone to enforce it.

A bit of naked sunbathing may well speed them along in a decision :LOL:

Sponsored Links
will have to check the deeds. i forgot to mention the fence is on the front garden so that kinda rules out the naked sunbathing!

if its only one fence, ask them if they want to go 50/50 and you erect it, i know you shouldnt have to but it makes your naked bathing more enjoyable :D

Think from memory that fences should be no more than 4 ft at the front of the building line and no more than 7 ft 6" at side and back. Natural boundaries like hedges are different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back