FENSA cert for replacement window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've recently had an old crickle (sp) window replaced with a nice hardwood one from my local joiners (Essex Woodworks out of Southend). I'm very happy with it... but I didn't receive any certification with it. I have got a contract/invoice/guarantee.

Chatting with a friend of mine today, who's a solicitor dealing in conveyancing, he said that he thought I should have a FENSA cert after 2003 or an inspection from the council building officer for when I need to re-mortgate/sell.

I'm not overly concerned about this at present, but as I plan on having all the rest of the windows done in future I wanted to clarify the situation. Any thoughts? I'll get back to the joiners about getting hold of this retrospectively.

Sponsored Links
Go back to the company and ask them to arrange for a FENSA certificate. If they fitted the window, it's their responsibility.

Have they used Low E glass to comply with Doc. L?
Very often with wooden windows you also have to use Argon Gas within the glass units unless they have had their window Hot Box Tested to say otherwise (which is unlikely in my experience).

If the windows have not been tested then they can't prove that the window complies with current regs and you need to fit glass units with the best Centre Pane U Value you can achieve (hence the addition of Argon Gas Cavity with Low E glass)

not sure on the new regs,but i think fensa cert only needed for new build or extentions to existing buildings or if under building/planning regs

prod said:
not sure on the new regs,but i think fensa cert only needed for new build or extentions to existing buildings or if under building/planning regs

All new/replacement windows and doors in new or existing buildings need to be registered with FENSA or your local BC ;)

Sponsored Links
prod said:
i stand corrected but this would seem to be difficult to police :) :?:
It is & it doesn't matter until you come to sell up & then your purchasers mortgage company won't grant them a loan on the property until they see a valid certificate!

but if it looks like the other windows, or no one tells them its been replaced, who is going to know :evil:

I’d agree if you make a mistake over one window but if going to the trouble & expense of having new windows fitted to your property, why on earth would you not want to ensure;
a) they are built to the latest spec.
b) they comply with current regulations and
c) can become a selling point for the property

It won’t necessarily be any more expensive & most surveyors aren’t stupid & can tell a new window when they see one; or at least enough to start asking questions! Even if you get away with it & sell the house on, if something goes wrong, the fact that you told porkies on the pre-contract disclosure questionnaire that your buyers solicitor sent you means the new owner may well come after you & not just to put any problems right, you could find yourself being sued for damages as well! I don’t understand why anyone would consciously want to create potential problems for themselves in the future by not complying with a few basic rules, they are hardly onerous.

breezer said:
but if it looks like the other windows, or no one tells them its been replaced, who is going to know :evil:

A lot of unit maunfacturers stamp the date of manufacture on the cavity spacer bars. It is true that a few years ago you could have done just like you said and got away with it but the current regs have been in place for too long now and as Richard says, most surveyors aren't stupid and are actually already aware of these things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back