Fernox or Sentinel to clean my system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to change 2 of my Drayton TRV's, heads just snapped off! While I'm at it going to put some x400 or Fernox cleaner any recommendations? Just a standard conventional boiler / central heating system.

Thinking of doing this as one of the rad's is showing blackish water when bleed.

Any particular type to use?
Just put it in the small Rad water tank run for a week then empty, flush out again with clean water and then add the protector stuff?

Cheers,
Sparky.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you clean out the small tank before you drain down. The last think you want is for all the sludge etc in the tank to get into the heating system. Use a bucket, sponge and trowel (or similar) to clean the tank.

Sentinel X400 can be left in indefinitely but 4 weeks is probably long enough.

After 4 weeks drain, flush with tap water then refill adding X100 Inhibitor. If you live in a hard water area, also add X200 limescale inhibitor.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you clean out the small tank before you drain down. The last think you want is for all the sludge etc in the tank to get into the heating system. Use a bucket, sponge and trowel (or similar) to clean the tank.

Sentinel X400 can be left in indefinitely but 4 weeks is probably long enough.

After 4 weeks drain, flush with tap water then refill adding X100 Inhibitor. If you live in a hard water area, also add X200 limescale inhibitor.

Super thanks very much just ordered the stuff. Will do it this weekend. :) Good tip re the small tank, loads of crap in it. Cheers again. :)

Either chemical will do the trick. I usually use sentinel, but that's because I get it cheap :D . If its just the heads which have snapped, you could replace them without draining the system.

Some rads not filling with water - what do I do just turn the heating / water on so it pumps the water to them. It’s weird.

The small tank in the loft is fine, fills with water no prob's, what’s interesting is there is a tap off that same pipe up to the small tank, I turned that on and that seemed to push some water through then out it went via the overflow so turned it back off. Any ideas?? We have 12 rads in total.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back