Filler Loop part of boiler replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me... I had a new Vaillant boiler fitted before Christmas, the quote was to replace the old boiler, fit a new cylinder (which was leaking), fit thermostats to the radiators and refit the pump at the back of the cupboard.
For the past few days one of the radiators has been leaking where the new thermostat was fitted. I've contacted the plumber to ask him to return to repair the leak and he's come up with that I need a new filler loop and will have to pay for that work.
So my question is... would you expect the filler loop to be part of the replacement? In my combi boiler set up it's attached to the pipes in the cupboard by the cylinder.
I feel I'm being asked for more money for a job that should have been done.
Any help/ clarification greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
In your itemised quote, was the filling loop listed as being replaced?

A Vaillant combi has an inbuilt filling loop so i expect you have a Vaillant 4 series. Did he change out the expansion vessel too?

They seldom last more than 10 years.

People love getting quotes, but rarely read them, going straight to the bottom line. If it isnt listed, as a rule, you are not getting it.

Thanks for your reply.

It's a Vaillant 418. How do I know if he charged out the expansion vessel? He didn't mention the filling loop in the quote.

The problem isn't that I didn't read the quote, I asked for a more detailed quote and accepted the 'I have also omitted a great deal of detail, for the sake of clarity' line when I should have insisted on a very detailed breakdown. My mistake which it looks like I will pay for.

Thanks again.

Whether or not the filler loop was included on a quote can anyone enlighten me on how a different filler loop at the boiler will stop a trv at a remote radiator stop leaking, if I've read this correctly

Sponsored Links
It won't your plumber is talking shyte!

Last edited:
I get the feeling that the leaking TRV is a free call back and he wants to charge for the filling loop to "bill something", I might be wrong but...

Yes, that's what I thought. Don't fancy my chances much for getting him back to fix the leaking radiator. Thanks for replying.

Well tell him trading standards will be involved if he doesnt come back also a claim for water damaged carpet ,change a filling loop means one already fitted takes 5 mins to change while he is there fixing HIS leak and they cost around a tenner for something that should have been changed during install if he now thinks its feked

I would just get him back to fix the radiator valve and get somebody else to fix the filling loop problem. If it was in poor condition he should have discussed this with you when the install was done. I would have changed it for nothing even if I had not included it in the quote as it's important for me to keep my customers happy.

Clearly there is a working filling loop already there.

Any new rad valves can show a small leak and I think that is preferable to those who overtighten and then squash the tube as so many do.

He is just trying it on and wants a payment to visit. You must resist that! He must return to correct the leak which will take less than 5 minutes.

Since he is not showing the behaviour of a good quality installer concerned about his reputation please take a few minutes to check the other valves for any leaks.

Has he sealed the flue with cement outside? A rubber gasket is not adequate on its own as the seal.

Has he completed the Benchmark Certificate on the boiler manual?

Has he/you completed the boiler warranty form and returned it?

Have you received a posted Certificate of installation, usually from Gas safe?

Tony

For certain models the rubber gasket is deemed ok on its own, Tony.

Might not be the standard we'd both work to, but any goodwill the customer can retain would be beneficial rather than winding the bloke up.

Virtually all boiler makers would be happy with just using the gaskets. That's why they supply them.

In much of Europe they don't usually seal the flues.

But in the UK the culture that Gas Safe encourage is that all flues should be sealed with cement and not expanding foam or a gasket. Also we have a much harsher weather in the UK than in southern Europe so properly sealing the flue opening is more important here.

I have no respect for the money grabbing installer the OP has employed. But trying to getting more money out of customers is fairly common. But then I don't do cut price second rate installations of budget boilers where the temptation will be higher.

Tony

Tony you keep doing what you think is right, I will keep doing what the Gas Safety (Insatallation and Use) Regulation require me to do:p

As far as I know only WB state you can get away with the rubber only and seal from inside. A 5kg bag of sand and cement is £3 a cup of water and 5mins work, whats the problem unless your a lazy bar stool.

BigSnoopy - yes will try to get him back to fix the radiator and get another plumber in for any future work.

Tony - it was £2900 to fit a Vaillant 418 and a new 1200x450 Vented Indirect hot water cylinder, new thermostat and new radiator thermostats so not really a budget boiler or cut price installation.
I've checked that he's cemented up the flue, I have the Gas Safe certificate and the boiler manual certificate and I'm looking for the boiler warrenty, I'm also waiting for Vaillant to get back to me to double check that he's done all the paperwork required. Thanks for the check list.

I would like to get another plumber in to check his work but that is an expense I just can't afford at the moment.
Thanks for the replies and advice. It's hard to find a good plumber around here!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back