Filling hole in outside of building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my boiler moved and the guy filled the old flue hole with something. Is it mortar? The same stuff that is used to hold the bricks together?

Can you tell by colour? Why is this brown and between the bricks grey? Can you get different colour mortar or does the material dictate it?

Photo here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidcasserly/13746290395/

So basically, what I'm asking ... is what is it that's used to fill these sorts of holes, because I have a few more on the other side of the house where things have been relocated.

Can I buy something ready to mix with water?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That looks like a bit of a bodge job.That looks like a sand and cement mix what is usually used to fix bricks.To fill that hole properly,any brick which was not whole should have been cut out and replaced to match in with the rest of the wall.

Mick.

Ha, yeah it is a bit of a bodge job. I'll probably chisel it out at some point and do as you say and put whole bricks in... oh well. It was a plumber who did it....

Sand and cement mix IS mortar... I'm asking the type if you can tell from that.

However... at the other side of my house,.... you can't see it anyway, so I might as well do the same. I just want to fill the hole.

Can,t tell what brand of cement from picture.What normally affects the colour of the mortar is the sand you use.Building sand comes in a lot of different shades.

Mick.

Sponsored Links
Looks like the plumber was a Hampton Wick ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back