Filling loop on halstead boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have to use the nut here with a pair of adjustables to top up pressure on this boiler. How can I have the thumb turn valves for top instead please?

The nut is starting to round and is difficult to close at the right time - leading to over pressure

Attachments

• 705FE228-3C13-4FED-8CA2-1C085F373868.jpeg
    705FE228-3C13-4FED-8CA2-1C085F373868.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 579
Sponsored Links
You'd be better off capping that loop and having a seperate quality filling loop installed on the pipework below. Halstead boilers went bust years ago but AFAIR some spares are available.

Which pipes do I install this on?
Is it a generic filling loop or a halstead specific one?

Just replicate the connections you have at the moment.
For compliance the new loop must have 2 isolating valves...with the double check valve fitted on the cold main side.
The cheap non-compliant loops only come with a single isolating valve and are always fitted incorrectly.

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend trying to find out why the system is losing pressure rather than change the loop.

Constant filling isn't good for a central heating system as dilutes the inhibitor and accelerates corrosion.

The OP hasn't mentioned the top up frequency but a good system should go at least 6 months before needing a little top up and generally last a year.

If it's at the point where the head of the valve is starting to round then my guess would be it's getting filled pretty regularly .... :whistle:

I wouldn’t say that it’s more frequent than once every 6-9 months. It’s for my folks and it just means that I have to go around and do this each time. The valves could be a lot easier.

Thanks for the advice above but I’m still unclear on how I do this and on which pipes. Can someone go through this again please?

Thanks

T on mains pipe, T on CH return pipe, filling loop connected between.
If you're doing this somewhere you can't see/read the pressure gauge on the boiler, then get a filling loop that has an integrated gauge or add one via a compression T on the system side of the new loop.

Thanks @dilalio. Once this is in place, what do i do with the current mechanism? Do I just open that fully?

no you leave the existing closed, or hose removed and caps fitted would be best
Ok. I suppose my new hose would be cut in lower down the copper pipes and hence the water will be topped up from here; irrespective of how the existing mechanism is set - on or off

Nope, if you left the one on the boiler as it is and with the valve open it would still be feeding mains water into the system and depending on your water pressure, would over pressurise the boiler. It needs shut off and disconnected and caps on the valves as @Gasguru & @ianmcd advised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back