Final check by building control of new circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have built an extension and run the cables ourselves. We have had the first fix electrics checked (and OKed) by BC appointed electrician.

Now the extension is finished we need to arrange an appointment to have the electrician back for final inspection, testing (and hopefully approval!).

Just double checking but I am under the impression that I am to leave the new circuit disconnected and that they connect when they come to test etc. Is this correct? (or do I connect up first, which would kind of defeat the testing element of their visit?)

TIA

Sponsored Links
If you are doing the electrical work then you should connect the circuits but not energise them.

IMO it will be the responsibility of the electricians to conduct the dead tests on the circuit before energising, then conducting the live tests and completing the Electrical Installation Certificate.

Just double checking but I am under the impression that I am to leave the new circuit disconnected and that they connect when they come to test etc. Is this correct? (or do I connect up first, which would kind of defeat the testing element of their visit?)
The person who is going to test your installation will require to do dead tests first, this will include continuity, insulation resistance and dead polarity. These test are done with the cable disconnected from the consumer unit, so connecting them is pointless. It would help if the circuits and cables are marked up accordingly though.

Sponsored Links
I've carried out hundreds of acceptance inspections of new installations for clients and I can't imagine that the BC procedue would be much different from mine. .... The standard procedure in this situation is you/the installer presents the work 100% complete, he would then read the test results. If he is happy with the figures he will then ask whoever did the testing to repeat some of the tests.
Are we all reading the same message? The OP said that he is about to arrange for the BC-appointed electrician to attend again to undertake the inspection and testing. That is obviously different from your experience, which appears to be of inspecting installations that have already been tested.

Kind Regards, John.

Thank you all for your feedback thus far.

Holmslaw, it is the BC appointed electrician that will be doing the testing, not myself.

jeeves - could you post a link to your LABC's website where they describe what they do?

Holmslaw, it is the BC appointed electrician that will be doing the testing, not myself.
I find that quite unbelievable and think you must have misunderstood the procedure.
If you find that unbelievable, what then exactly do you think is the procedure when a DIYer who does not have the skill or equipment to undertake testing notifies electrical work to BC? You may be highly experienced in relation to some matters, but clearly not this one.

Kind Regards, John.

Please stop ruining threads with your nonsense.
Please answer the simple question:

What exactly do you think is the procedure when a DIYer who does not have the skill or equipment to undertake testing notifies electrical work to BC?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back