Final details of floor fixings

M

marsaday

I have got the final bits from the SE about making my loft floor.

I am going to be doing things slightly differently than most seem to do. I am not sure if it is due to the SE being inexperienced, but he wants me to do it this way, which will be much stronger than average.

I will be using "Expamet BAT" Max Speedy joist hangers with M12 (8.8) bolts resin fixed to the existing masonry walls, with a maximum hole depth of 85mm. 2No. bolts for normal joists and 4No. bolts for trimming members.

So i wont be using a wall plate to hang the joists from.

I will also be using a resin anchor system.

Any comments on the above ? I am happy to do it like this as i will be doing it myself.

What are 2no bolts and 4no bolts by the way?

Sponsored Links
What are 2no bolts and 4no bolts by the way?
4no = 4 number (ie. 4 of them)

Face fixing the joists isnt that uncommon, have you asked him why hes doing it that way? might be because he lacks the room to have the joists on a wall plate or hes trying to make it easy on you..

Something to do with point loads. the party wall has a chimney breast which we must trim around. So the wall plate at each end will be a weak point. This is why he wants to use individual fixing hangers.

however on the opposite wall there is a straight run.

I think it makes a stronger fixing in the end.

The problem potential is magnified when fixing hangars individually to masonry, as opposed to a timber plate. You are heavily reliant upon all fixings being sound.

I hope the brick/blockwork is in good nick!

Sponsored Links
Well it is a 1910 brick wall.

When i come to do it, if i want to switch to a wall plate, will BC be easy with me or will they require loads of new calcs?

ps, the engineer doesnt fill me with confidence as i think he hasnt done an attic conversion before, so he is being very careful. i mean i have had to ask him for the method of fixing to the wall as this wasnt provided.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back