Finding tradesmen for an insurance job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered what your thoughts are around finding tradesmen for an insurance job.

I've always found it hard to get tradesmen to quote for work but this seems to have got worse in the last year or so. I recently contacted 13 people about a bathroom re-fit, of which 4 got back to me. One provided a "ballpark figure" without seeing the job (which was less than half of what I was expecting); 1 asked for more info which I provided then I never heard from him again; one came to measure up then failed to provide a quote; the final one came to measure up and is working on the quote (but has only had a week, so I still hold hope that he will do so). IF he quotes, he'll get the job almost regardless because there is nobody else who's willing to do it.

It will be an insurance job but I didn't mention this when I made first contact. Is that a mistake? If they asked, I would tell them of course. Do I let the tradesmen know up front in my initial contact that it is going through the insurance or do I not mention it? Does this make it more or less attractive to them? How do I get people to actually take my money?!

Sponsored Links
Done my fair share of insurance work over the years. Lately you can request the money from the insurance and pay the trades directly. This should make it more acceptable.
A lot of trades and companies don’t like waiting for insurance companies to pay up.

some insurance companies where i have dealt with a claim, offer to get trades in themselves or pay you th emoney - at least that was the case with a water damage claim in 2018 i oversaw -- £24K in the end.
BUT still had issues getting trades man in

its terrible around our way , because there is so much new build going on, and people also spending money on doing up their houses - almost every road has some sort of builders van or two in it.
we had your problem even before covid (and its worse now)

same thing , people turned up, and quoted silly money - did not turn up, turn up and not quote - that was last year , quote and then say they cant start for at least 9 mths !!!! , in the end i did the cloakroom myself , as it was just impossible to get anyone in, and when we did get any pricing was considerable £2.5K labour only , to clear a small 1mx1.5m room - we supply all the materials - fit a toilet /sink, floor and paint and tile....

Not sure if telling them its an insurance job would help , its just the availability of good quality people i find the issue , i have seen a couple of people for jobs who can start quickly , but having spoken with them , i would not trust them at all , and waved goodbye as they got back on the horse & cart

Sponsored Links
I do insurance work direct for a company in Chelmsford. They are very good. Have all the right trades. They generally do London.
Another I know and used to do work for are Braintree sort of way. Again they were not bad.

If you get someone and it turns out shíț then you only have yourself to blame.

If the insurance company provides the trade company then you have someone to ho back to if they make a hash.

Where do you live?
I'm in Gloucestershire.

I've only ever claimed on insurance once before and they didn't give me the option of them organising anything, all they did was pay out the money (which was less than 50% of the cost of replacing the damaged items). Maybe that's the idea - if they pay cash instead of arranging repairs it absolves them of any responsibility if the repairs are problematic and it drags out the process as you wait months to find someone willing to quote.

Tell them its insurance job they will then know that they can double their normal price and be paid no quibble whether directly or indirectly

Tell them that you will pay them direct once the job is complete. Don't ever pay a deposit up front

Tell them its insurance job they will then know that they can double their normal price and be paid no quibble whether directly or indirectly
Years ago a car went into our front door (don't ask), needed a new door and a bit of tidying up of the rendering. My mate does doors and windows and I asked him how much. "About £1200" he said. Sod it, I'll go through insurance. So loss adjuster, assessor, builder for quote, a few more visits from loss adjuster after completion- job's a goodun. When the insurance comes up for renewal, it mentioned the claim, and the final cost after all the hangers on had their share was over £26k.

Sponsored Links
Back