'Experienced' Tradesmen

S

Shutpa

In another thread gasbanni said:
I do this for a living. I've told you how to do it, what do I base this on .....experience!
and I replied:
Gasbanni, I have had very, very, great experience of 'experienced' tradesmen
Sadly,much of that was bad. Now I have absolutely no doubt that gasbanni is an experienced and competent person because I have no evidence to the contrary. But let me list some of the experiences that I have had with 'experienced' tradesmen.
There was the plasterer/s who:
cut/or buried all of the wiring for an alarm system which had been pre-wired when our house was being built
And the same plasterer/s who:
in skimming a wall, created an egg shaped mound a metre long and half a metre wide and about 35mm deep in the centre
And the painter who, instead of reporting the 'lump' to either the plasterers or site foreman:
simply painted over it
And the site foreman who, in his inspection for snags:
failed to see the mound in the middle of the wall
and the plumber who:
fitted a single 15mm pipe to feed 2 sinks, 2 showers and a toilet when the architects drawings clearly indicated the use of 25mm, 18mm and 15mm feeds
And the other plumber who:
stood on the plastic decorative corner pieces of our shower cabinet, broke of the lugs so stuck them is place with mastic without saying a word
And the joiner who:
took 8 hours to fit 2 doors because he didn't have another job on that day!
And another joiner who:
working on our extension, cut all of the door facing short and cut 'slices' to fill the gaps
And the dentist who:
after I complained, was reprimanded by the BDA. As a result of that complaint, all fees paid by me over the 4 year period I'd been registered there, were refunded.
And even the my bank's Financial Adviser who was demoted after:
the bank had to pay me £600+ after he forgot to transfer an investment

I have gone on, and I could go on and on, but I won't. I know that the vast majority of tradesmen are experienced and competent, but I seem to have the knack of picking those who are not. And some of these had been recommended by friends.
The end result is that if I can do a job myself, I will. Taking gasbanni's advice however, in future, I will stick to maths and not try to help others with their diy problems here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Sorry to intrude a little on your stories, but I, for one, am now very much aware of the level of deceit to which gasbanni and F&I are willing to sink in order to support or inflate their egos.
If they arrived at my door I'd them giving marching orders without hesitation.
How could you trust the word of a tradesperson who is so willing to be dishonest on an anonymous website. You can't even rely on their claim to be experienced tradespeople.
Integrity and sincerity are important and if people cannot demonstrate it anonymously, there's no hope for them in real life.

Maybe my comment is relevant. I'll leave it to you to judge.

Thank you for your input Himaggin. What I will say is that when the pseudo war of words between parties here, comes in the way of genuine calls for help and so on, then it is time that someone brought it to a halt. I felt genuinely sorry for JamesAsus who's thread asking for advice, ended in hostility and chaos. By all means have your debate. but please don't carry that debate into every thread.

Thank you for your input Himaggin. What I will say is that when the pseudo war of words between parties here, comes in the way of genuine calls for help and so on, then it is time that someone brought it to a halt. I felt genuinely sorry for JamesAsus who's thread asking for advice, ended in hostility and chaos. By all means have your debate. but please don't carry that debate into every thread.
I fully accept your criticism, bolo, as I accepted the comment by the OP in that thread.
Unfortunately, LMB entered without any offer of help to the OP, and purely to start a war of words with me, specifically.
I accept that I lost sight of the 'spirit' of the thread, and, on that occasion, the spirit of the site in general.
I accept the castigation. :notworthy:

Sponsored Links
The reason he ask is that the pipe sizes 25mm and 18mm you have given wouldn't be used in the UK for supplying sinks, showers and a toilet.

A European architect?
Additionally, a proper plumber would easily be able to convert 25mm to 28mm and 18mm to 22mm.

Or perhaps they referred to plastic pipe sizes. And it was really 16mm not 18mm that was specified.

Last edited:
The reason he ask is that the pipe sizes 25mm and 18mm you have given wouldn't be used in the UK for supplying sinks, showers and a toilet.
Thanks for that? The drawings mysteriously disappeared at the time but I was able to use the instruction books for the showers to prove that the pipes he used were too narrow. His original excuse was that the large bore pipes with accompanying bends cut down on the flow and that the plastic pipes that he'd installed had so little resistance that they would cope easily with the 5 fittings. It was all replaced at his expense.

A European architect?
Additionally, a proper plumber would easily be able to convert 25mm to 28mm and 18mm to 22mm.

Or perhaps they referred to plastic pipe sizes. And it was really 16mm not 18mm that was specified.

When you edit your posts do the decent thing and say so.

A European architect?

When you edit your posts do the decent thing and say so.
It does say so, right hand side "Last Edited 18 minutes ago!
Now 19 minutes ago.....
Now 23 minutes ago.....
Now 38 minutes ago.....
As John explained a long while ago.
If you edit your post before anyone has added a comment, it doesn't show. But once anyone adds another comment after yours, and you edit your post, a flag shows, right hand side, Last Edited: whenever.

Or, even if you edit your post, before anyone else has commented, but more than 30 minutes after posting it (not sure of precise delay) it still adds the flag anyway.

So this post now has a flag, showing it has been edited. Aah, it looks like the delay is more like 20 minutes.

Additionally, when you're about to respond, before you submit your post a warning comes up to tell you if there are any new posts since you started your response, and before you submit it.

Last edited:
I did say do the decent thing and I'm well aware that dishonest John doesn't. I didn't know until now that you do the same.

Sponsored Links
Back