'Experienced' Tradesmen

If you are well versed and competent at your trade you should have no qualms working for anyone.

Choosing who you will and won't work for is one of lifes simple pleasures. Nothing to do with competency. Why work for a w@nker when you can work for a nice guy?

Sponsored Links
I think a lot of us can instinctively deduce which tradespeople (not only tradespeople) are full of bullshitt and which are honest sincere folk.

But we don't always get it right and unfortunately there are some that are seasoned practised dishonest people.
In my limited experience of gasbanni and F&I, they both fall well into that category.
And they do seem to have a lot of spare time to spend on here, spouting their usual stuff.

Last edited:
I did say do the decent thing and I'm well aware that dishonest John doesn't. I didn't know until now that you do the same.
But the system tells you! It doesn't need us to say so, as well. And how would we say so? By editing the original post, or creating a new one each time?

If you don't read/see the system messages, you can hardly blame anyone else.

I don't want to have to look to the XenForo software to tell me that you have fundamentally changed your post. The edit function is there (IMO) to Add a link or correct spellings etc.
You don't have to look into the software, you just need to read the messages. It's very simple.
It isn't meant to be used to change the context of your post.
It absolutely did not change the context or semantics of the post. I added a couple of comments. The edit function is available to use in any way posters want to use it, not only in the way that you think is acceptable!

And in any case, while it can say you have edited your post it can't say what you have edited.
But you knew anyway. Why does the system need to tell you something which you already know?

I want you to have told me that while I'm reading it.
It is simply not possible, unless you abort your comment, reload the page again, restart your comment over again.

That's the decent thing to do.
Are you the arbiter of all things decent all of a sudden. Perhaps I'll look back for any of your offensive comments.

Edit: If you write one sentence and then decide to go back and add a couple more the decent thing to do is type EDIT: And here's another sentence.

I often do if I think the context or semantics have changed, but not just to add a further comment in the same context.
Just because JD makes a habit of hiding behind the forum software doesn't mean you should.
That's just an offensive, inaccurate poke at another poster.

Conny said:
If you are well versed and competent at your trade you should have no qualms working for anyone.
Only those with doubts about their abilities or claims to skills should worry about their competence.

and:

Choosing who you will and won't work for is one of lifes simple pleasures

Now, since it is generally the other way around ie choosing who will and who won't work for you, I take it that you are self employed. I also take it given your reply, that you have so many people seeking your services that you can pick and choose. Lucky you! If you were an employee you wouldn't have that choice.

And as for this:

Nothing to do with competency
You are quite right Mitch! If you re-read my opening post in this thread you will see that it is about incompetency. That being so, conny' statement, quoted above, has everything to do with it.

Why work for a ****** when you can work for a nice guy?

Why indeed Mitch? But there is a problem. When someone calls and asks for a quote how do you assess whether a complete stranger will be a good client or a not so good client? I would love to have that ability so please let me into your secret.

Sponsored Links
What I meant is my competency or my opinion of my competency has nothing to do with my choice of customer. I guess after a 25 yearsish you get a feel for the sort of people you like to work for. I'm sure when you meet people, say in a social situation, for the first time you may come away thinking "yeh, he's a good guy, I could spend time with him" or maybe "I don't like his attitude on things, I'll avoid him in future".
I thought my comment outlined a pretty harmless and inoffensive opinion. Sorry if I offended.

I'm sure when you meet people, say in a social situation, for the first time you may come away thinking "yeh, he's a good guy, I could spend time with him" or maybe "I don't like his attitude on things, I'll avoid him in future"

Of course mitch, we all do that. And some don't wait until they're coming away. All of us can take an instant dislike to someone we've just met for the first time. We're free to do so and it doesn't cost us a penny because it's as you say "a social situation".

I guess after a 25 yearsish you get a feel for the sort of people you like to work for.

Again, of course you do. But this is different. This is business were talking about. This is your livelihood, your bread and butter. How many tradesmen can turn away a client because they don't like his face or in their opinion, he's what you said he was? Lots of farmers hate dealing with the big supermarkets but most stop short of telling them to get on their bikes.
As a tradesman, choosing who you will and won't work for is one of lifes simple pleasures

In your dreams mitch, in your dreams!

PS- Mitch, since the thread is about tradesmen, I have altered your post to make that point clear. I hope you don't mind.

I'm sure when you meet people, say in a social situation, for the first time you may come away thinking "yeh, he's a good guy, I could spend time with him" or maybe "I don't like his attitude on things, I'll avoid him in future"

Of course mitch, we all do that. And some don't wait until they're coming away. All of us can take an instant dislike to someone we've just met for the first time. We're free to do so and it doesn't cost us a penny because it's as you say "a social situation".

I guess after a 25 yearsish you get a feel for the sort of people you like to work for.

Again, of course you do. But this is different. This is business were talking about. This is your livelihood, your bread and butter. How many tradesmen can turn away a client because they don't like his face or in their opinion, he's what you said he was? Lots of farmers hate dealing with the big supermarkets but most stop short of telling them to get on their bikes.
As a tradesman, choosing who you will and won't work for is one of lifes simple pleasures

In your dreams mitch, in your dreams!

PS- Mitch, since the thread is about tradesmen, I have altered your post to make that point clear. I hope you don't mind.

Alter what you like buddy. No skin off mine. Thanks for your insight into my families wealth also. I'll start doing work I don't want/need to. No more dreaming for me. You put me straight.

I did say do the decent thing and I'm well aware that dishonest John doesn't. I didn't know until now that you do the same.
But the system tells you! It doesn't need us to say so, as well. And how would we say so? By editing the original post, or creating a new one each time?

If you don't read/see the system messages, you can hardly blame anyone else.

I don't want to have to look to the XenForo software to tell me that you have fundamentally changed your post. The edit function is there (IMO) to Add a link or correct spellings etc.
You don't have to look into the software, you just need to read the messages. It's very simple.
It isn't meant to be used to change the context of your post.
It absolutely did not change the context or semantics of the post. I added a couple of comments. The edit function is available to use in any way posters want to use it, not only in the way that you think is acceptable!

And in any case, while it can say you have edited your post it can't say what you have edited.
But you knew anyway. Why does the system need to tell you something which you already know?

I want you to have told me that while I'm reading it.
It is simply not possible, unless you abort your comment, reload the page again, restart your comment over again.

That's the decent thing to do.
Are you the arbiter of all things decent all of a sudden. Perhaps I'll look back for any of your offensive comments.

Edit: If you write one sentence and then decide to go back and add a couple more the decent thing to do is type EDIT: And here's another sentence.

I often do if I think the context or semantics have changed, but not just to add a further comment in the same context.
Just because JD makes a habit of hiding behind the forum software doesn't mean you should.

WTF? Just leave a message to say you have edited your post. Fooking simple ain't it.

JD has a habit of altering (or just plain deleting) anything that doesn't suit. It got so pathetic at one point, I posted that perhaps we ought to start taking screenshots.

JD has a habit of altering (or just plain deleting) anything that doesn't suit. It got so pathetic at one point, I posted that perhaps we ought to start taking screenshots.
I think that it is time that JohnD be removed from his position of moderator and put back in his box

Sponsored Links
Back