'finishing off' spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the few jobs the sparky (that hasn't returned) was to finish off the spotlights with earth sheathing etc.

I'm going to do this myself. It looks like he has twisted the earth cables together, what width earth shea
IMG_20210309_150446.jpg
thing should i get? Or can i just use electrical tape?

Are the black cables okay just left as they are?

also is is best to cut back the length of the black cables and earth cables a bit, considering they're not needed?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Do you mean to say your electrician has connected those lights like that??

Twisted earth's are a tell tale sign of someone without training. One major reason being it makes it a nightmare for the next person who has to test this installation.

Given the other things going on, you should seek the expertise of a real electrican as soon as you can. Do not skimp on safety!

Those particular spot lights do not appear to have a terminal to connect the earth wires to, unlike most quality fittings.

Sometimes there is good reason to use 3 core+earth cable, though possibly not in this case, particularly as you say the black wire is not needed (how do you know?).

Also, he should have the outer sheath of the cable entering the fitting, and it should go under the cable grip.

Because he has used 3 core+e cable, it may be hard to get the sheath to enter the fittings, as the cable is larger than T+E. Then again they may fit just fine.

This bloke has done you no favours.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
the downlights are LAP from screwfix surely these are commonly used? How do other installers fit these then?

I'm majorly p***** off with all these faults exposed. This gives me no faith whatsoever in trades. As we have said, how do i as joe public know whats wrong or right?

How is this downlight meant to be installed?

The earth wire should be continuous and so joined at every point, regardless of whether the fitting actually needs and earth.

The fittings are unfortunately badly designed, as it will be hard to even squeeze a connector block inside.

All you can really do is join the earths outside of the fitting in a 6 amp connector block. The same for the unused black wires perhaps - they could be cut off, but it be argued they should be capped off properly, in case of induction and that sort of stuff.

You could fit a junction box above each light, with a 2 core flex going to each light. This would smarten things up, though possibly an unnecessary expense - I think some would argue.

IMG_20210309_191513.jpg
hi, thanks for helping out, appreciate it

So, would you unwind the earth wires, cut them down a bit, and put them in earth sheathing and the end bit inside a terminal block like this? Does each cable have to be 'opposite' each other, or can they be 'side by side' in the terminal block?

I've got some one these - not sure what amp rating they are though?

Side by side and under both screws is better.

One in each end or both in the same end doesn't matter.

Side by side and under both screws is better.

One in each end or both in the same end doesn't matter.

ok so i can just unwind the earth cables and put them into the same block? Much like wiring two earth cables into a plug socket for example?

Yes, and if the block is bigger than necessary, bend the ends of each wire back on itself for the length of the block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back