Fire alarm systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any legal requirement for fire alarm systems to be installed by a recognised entity?

Sponsored Links
also depends on insurance.

public access buildings have to have a fire alarm.

smoke detectors (as you find in a new build house) do not constitue a fire alrm

Spark123 said:
What sort of fire alarm and what type of premises?

A fully linked mains system with detectors in all main rooms, two sounders and a control panel. The property is a domestic house. I think it will be used by a charity for some purpose, not sure what. (one of the bedrooms is being redone as a Staff Room)

I need to get an idea of cost of an alarms system.

Sponsored Links
ive installed them in commercial premesis but they always get commissioned and signed off by a certified engineer to meet the standards

ch427, funny you should mention that. One place i worked, a bloke came to test the fire alarm, and he noted that none of them were working. he unscrewed them and found one of the wires to the wrong terminal in every detector. He said something about the company that installed the system always doing that. :eek: It'd been in 2 years before this was picked up :rolleyes:

Digging up this old thread, but it's on topic.

I am putting an estimate together for a full public house refurb. It currently has no emergency lighting and no smoke/fire alarms.
So my question is will it need a whole new fire alarm system? Instead of interlinked smokes?
I am under the impression that it will, but havn't found any reference to back up my suspision.
The property above is also being refurbed, and the whole installation is on one meter.

yes, ask the fire officer, look for system types like L1 or L2. I would think that the fire officer would want either one of those types rather than mains wired interlinked smoke/heat detectors, he will want call points at fire exits too I would imagine.

Do the Fire Officers still get involved in giving this sort of advice . Since the introduction of the Fire safety regulatory reform Act i was under the impression it was a Risk assessment based scenario.

Well I provisionally have planned a 4 zone system. With high-heat detector in kitchen, 2 x heat detector in bar/dining area and 2 smokes (1 upstairs and 1 in chiller/cellar area. With a call point at the kitchen escape and back door.

Why heat detectors in the bar, smoke are more common since the smoking ban.
We do a lot of pubs run by big brewers and there are normally call points by each customer door if a fire exit or at least one behind the bar.
Call points at all back area fire exits.
If accomadation upstairs a detector in all main rooms,bedrooms and kitchen and often detecters in loft and airing cupboard with remote indicators.
It is also quite common to have a fire supressent system in the pub kitchen linked to the system.
Dependant on noise levels and the pub license they may require sounder/strobes with the alarm linked to shut down the sound system.

I would install the twin wire system, although not done one for a while i have installed loads in the past and found them very reliable, if you are unfarmilliar with them you have 'detectors' which are universal and have dip switches in them, you can choose each detector to be optical smoke/ionisation smoke / heat and sounder. you can also have call points with sounders in them, if you cant get the volume. The other thing is that you are only running one lot of cable around so material and install time is saved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back