Fire and Sound Resistance details missing from plans.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Paid for and received set of BC plans for a flat conversion.

Details in the plans for 'Fire' and 'Sound Resistance' simply had a note saying 'See attached details'.

These details were not attached with the original plans, or, despite several subsequent requests - ever received.

Presume the Architectural Technician (AT) should not have omitted such details.

From a legal stand point, how does one know that the details that a AT might supply for such important areas such as Fire, are correct.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have asked for somebody or a company to provide you with BR drawings, then those drawings should comply with the BR’s and fire/sound being a part of that. Have the drawings been submitted to Building Control and if so, have they picked up on the lack of fire/sound details?

Obviously you haven't been provided with copies of the full information required for building regs approval so keep at your architectural technician. If they aren't responding go and see them.

Sponsored Links
Don't know what arrangement you had with your architectural technician but in my experience a client would not be invoiced until the plans were approved. The invoice would be sent with the approval notice and copies of approved drawings. As others have queried, what is the situation with Building Control ?

a client would not be invoiced until the plans were approved
No, get the invoice in, and hopefully payment as soon as the plans are done and handed over. Just in case the client decides he don't want to pay/ go ahead/ changes mind etc.

Don't know what arrangement you had with your architectural technician but in my experience a client would not be invoiced until the plans were approved. The invoice would be sent with the approval notice and copies of approved drawings. As others have queried, what is the situation with Building Control ?
My invoice is always settled prior to me submitting the application, never after. A clients' already used up all their trust points by then with me doing all the work, they have to trust me to get the approval. Exactly the same for planning BTW.

My invoice is always settled prior to me submitting the application, never after. A clients' already used up all their trust points by then with me doing all the work, they have to trust me to get the approval. Exactly the same for planning BTW.

Ditto that.

Holding off the submission of applications until payment is received is the only control I have.

No, get the invoice in, and hopefully payment as soon as the plans are done and handed over. Just in case the client decides he don't want to pay/ go ahead/ changes mind etc.
What about any additional work/ amendments / information relating to schedule of conditions required after the plans are submitted ,if you have already submitted your invoice :!:
As far as the client is concerned frank999 has paid and hasn't received all the necessary information :!:

What about any additional work/ amendments / information relating to schedule of conditions required after the plans are submitted ,if you have already submitted your invoice :!:
I don't know about you but probably 4/10 I get some very minor pedantic conditions back perhaps a few notes to add, half of them already on the drawings if they looked closer, maybe an hours work, occasionally something more substantial but very rarely. If you're worried about how much work you might need to do to sort out what conditions you might have after submitting the plans for approval perhaps you're in the wrong game?

What about any additional work/ amendments / information relating to schedule of conditions required after the plans are submitted ,if you have already submitted your invoice
In this context, domestic work, I would suggest that when anyone quotes for preparing plans then that quote is to draw them and get the permission.

No extra charges for this and that - because if the plan drawer had done his job properly, then he would have covered all that before submitting, and there is no need for tapping the client for any "extras" for information that should be on the drawing in the first place.

If you're worried about how much work you might need to do to sort out what conditions you might have after submitting the plans for approval perhaps you're in the wrong game?
No need for that sort of comment and I don't need you to tell me what is involved in submitting building regulations applications, I did it for many years, and for your information I never quoted clients in advance, I charged based on the number of hours spent on the job and can only remember one job, a loft conversion, where the householder queried the invoice.

No extra charges for this and that - because if the plan drawer had done his job properly, then he would have covered all that before submitting, and there is no need for tapping the client for any "extras" for information that should be on the drawing in the first place.
You mean you never have any input after submitting the drawings :!: Anyway ,you can see my reply to the other person .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back