fire expanding foam distribution board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've a quick question regarding fire expanding foam. I've been asked to fill the gaps where the cables enter the distribution board in a block of new flats. I found that the nozzle on the can made a lot of mess on the cables. I'm returning to the job tomorrow, how should I clean up the mess.
I've applied the foam through the DB in the gaps rather than take it off - does the foam need complete coverage of all cables? & again how to go about cleaning up over pour/spill

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be insulating cables! It'll cause them to overheat and catch fire :eek:

If it's new flats, shouldn't the request have been directed to the electrician, who would have advised how foolish this was?!

& again how to go about cleaning up over pour/spill
You can't clean it up.
Expanding foam which has set can only be removed mechanically (as in scrape it off), and this will risk damaging the cables.
There are probably chemicals which will dissolve it, but they will damage the cables as well.

There shouldn't be any gaps which require filling anyway.
If these cables are in the common areas or a service riser, they should be in steel trunking or conduit fixed directly to the distribution board and other equipment. For submains to other floors, metal clad / armoured cables should have been used which are fitted directly into the board with the appropriate glands.

Sponsored Links
I've never heard of this before myself I would of thought the cables would of been fine as they are. Also this rules out any chance of adding additional circuits at a later date, seemed daft but that was the order I was given to do...
Any tips of how to clean up the mess? [edit] posted above before seeing flameport's reply...

What if I were to use something like a cuterly knife to whittle bits off with? Isn't too sharp should minimise any damage to cables

If you have squirted this into the distribution, (not distinction), board there is a chance that as it has expanded it may have come into contact with mcb's, RCD's etc and actually prevent them from functioning in the case of a fault.

My advice to you is to get your boss to employ a qualified electrician to check out the distribution panels before anyone starts hacking at this foam.

It's not gone everywhere like I've filled the distribution board up haha (I hope) just bits from the nozzle have got on some cables (not bare cables) just a matter of wanting to tidy it up a little.

Be that as it may.

My advice to you is to get your boss to employ a qualified electrician.
blank_65x10_T.gif
whssign.gif

The only course of action here is to hold your hands up, admit you've f'd up, learn from your mistake and let a competent electrician sort this out for you.

Hi I've a quick question regarding fire expanding foam.
Do you mean intumescent foam. This does not (must not ) fill the void when installed. When a temperature rise indicates a fire may be present the foam then expands to fill the void and prevents the fire passing through the void.

If this is the case then the foam has to be installed by an experienced person as the amount and location of the foam is critical if it is to be an effective fire stop.

Perhaps because for it to work as it should, the foam should have been installed by someone who knew what they were doing, and must not have been used to completely fill the gaps.

if it is intumescent, it will swell up in a fire. I have never seen an intumescent expanding foam myself, though I have used intumescent strips and pads, as used under fire hinges and inside lock mortices.

However there is a fire-stop foam that does not swell, its purpose is to seal gaps e.g. injected around the frames of fire doors during build to prevent smoke or flame passing through (it also blocks draughts, muffles sound, and holds the frame firmly in the wall). It is formulated to char but not to melt or burn away, but is not intumescent. http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...lers/11679/bond_it_fire_resistant_foam/818900

Fire door frames also have an intumescent strip, which is different, that swells up to fill the gap between the door and frame, when it gets hot.

edit
that pink foam looks like ordinary fire-stop foam to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back