Fire Extinguishers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At home, I have a 1.1Kg multipurpose dry powder fire extinguisher for classes A, B, and C fires and also electrical risks. It has a pressure gauge on it saying full but I have had it eight and a half years. However I was asked three years ago would it be ok if we had to use it in say ten years time. the guarantee against pressure loss is six years so what I would like to know will it be ok or should it be replaced although the guarantee has expired but the pressure indicator still shows ok?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you have waht is known as stored pressure. so long as the guage is fine it shold be ok, but dont open it.

They have been known to erm..........................explode (ok burst) but its very very rare, more common though with water gas ones as the lining goes

breezer said:
you have waht is known as stored pressure. so long as the guage is fine it shold be ok, but dont open it.

They have been known to erm..........................explode (ok burst) but its very very rare, more common though with water gas ones as the lining goes

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it said on the box it came in that it also has a 'seamles aluminium container guaranteed against pressure loss for six years'.

Also, although not actually relevant to the topic, there was an owners manual missing from the box as well.

It has the American symbols on the front of it as well for the fire classifications and it explains (the British way) what class is each fire but it has Class E for electrical equipment which Id say is wrong because according to a newer extinguisher I have and to a technical book there is no official/technical class for as electricity is considered as an ignition heat source only and not a fuel like textiles, liquids etc

Sponsored Links
Is it really worth taking the risk at home? Replace it.

A fireman friend once told me:

- Tap the gauge regularly and see if it moves; sometimes the pressure drops but the gauge has stuck
- Give the extinguisher a good shake every few months; the powder can settle and might not be expelled efficiently

In this case I agree with Maxxy - for the sake of a few quid I'd prefer to have one "in date".

sf

please note forum rule 7

you have a class ABC type fire ext. A is for burning solids such as wood ,paper etc. B is for gas or grease fires etc and C is for any electrical fire such as electric panels,your iron stove etc.
Best way to remember is if it burns to an ash its an A, A is for ash.
B is for Barrel the container you store petrol and grease in .
C is for Current all electric items
Now yor ext. being charged is not enough, over a long period of time
the powder inside will seperate from the nitrogen gas (nonflamable) and become hard if this happens the nitrogen can't expell the power out of the nozzle (the powder is monomonium phosphate ,not harmful) so you MUST
shake the ext. about every 6 months to keep it loose, if yours is packed turn ext. upside down and with a rubber mallet carefully rap the side and bottom you will hear a different sound if the bottom is hard keep tapping until the bottom souns hollow then shake to break up any lumps.
Note : depending on quality of ext. it should be good for 20 years, if it's
a cheap one you probably have plastic valve system ,in this case discard and buy new one. A cheap one is anything with a plastic head and dial

if in doubt contact yor local fire dept.
I do fire ext. training

he has probaly thrown it away by now, he asked nearly 6 months ago :LOL:

I know this is quite an old post but I just thought I'd clarify a few things so as not to confuse anyone searching for information on fire extinguishers.

crazycanuck said:
I do fire ext. training
If this is true, you need to go on a refresher course because some of what you write is nonsense.

crazycanuck said:
you have a class ABC type fire ext. A is for burning solids such as wood ,paper etc. B is for gas or grease fires etc and C is for any electrical fire such as electric panels,your iron stove etc.
Best way to remember is if it burns to an ash its an A, A is for ash.
B is for Barrel the container you store petrol and grease in .
C is for Current all electric items :rolleyes: no it's not
Briefly, your fire extinguisher have rating numbers i.e. 13A 233B
The letters refer to the class of fire risk and the number refers to the size of fire the extinguisher can put out UNDER TEST CONDITIONS.

Classes of risk:
Class A risks - Solids (Wood, paper, straw, etc)
Class B risks - Flammable liquids and liquifiable solids (butter, lard etc)
Class C risks - Gaseous fires
Class D risks - Metal fires
Class F risks - Cooking oils

The largest A rating you will get on an extinguisher is a 55A - which means that it'll put out a wooden "crib" of a certain design that is 5.5M long. (A 13A would be 1.3M long etc.) A 55A is an enormous fire to see. It's actually hard to believe that an extinguisher will put out a fire of such a size. I'll see if I can find a photo from a recent fire test we did.

The largest B rating for a portable extinguisher is a 233B - This is a heptane/water fuel fire of 233 litres total. That's 156 litres of fuel and 77 litres of water in a metal dish of 3 metre inside diameter.

You won't find a fire rating number for C or D risks and F class extinguishers generally have a 75 rating.
Just a note on Foam extinguishers..... there's a school of thought that because fat fryers are liquid that a B class extinguisher will be ok to use on a fat fire. Not so, you need to get cooking oil to about 350°C before it will auto ignite - this fact makes it different from the fuel type fires because the actual liquid is very hot. Because of the high temperatures involved, using a class B foam extinguisher is not recommended for use on fat fires. You need a class F extinguisher for fat fires - the foam in a F type extinguisher basically turns the oil into a soap.

crazycanuck said:
Now yor ext. being charged is not enough, over a long period of time the powder inside will seperate from the nitrogen gas (nonflamable) and become hard if this happens the nitrogen can't expell the power out of the nozzle (the powder is monomonium phosphate ,not harmful) so you MUST shake the ext. about every 6 months to keep it loose, if yours is packed turn ext. upside down and with a rubber mallet carefully rap the side and bottom you will hear a different sound if the bottom is hard keep tapping until the bottom souns hollow then shake to break up any lumps.
Extinguishers can be filled with dry air as well as nitrogen. The ABC dry powder is mono ammonium phosphate and ammonium sulphate. This business of shaking the extinguisher to free up the powder isn't really necessary although having said that they do still teach it in service engineers training course to BS5306-3:2003. I say it's not really necessary because before you fire test a dry powder extinguisher, it must be subjected to 500 drops onto a rigid steel plate from a height of 15mm at a frequency of 1 a second (as specified in EN 3 Annex K.2). Believe me, that compacts the powder properly. The dry powder in the extinguisher has tiny gaps between the particles that are filled with pressuised nitrogen or dry air - once there extinguisher is operated the gas amongst the powder will rush up through the siphon tube and out of the hose (if fitted) taking the powder with it.

crazycanuck said:
Note : depending on quality of ext. it should be good for 20 years, if it's a cheap one you probably have plastic valve system ,in this case discard and buy new one. A cheap one is anything with a plastic head and dial.
BS5306 recommends that powder extinguishers (stored pressure or cartridge) are subjected to a test discharge every 5 years (10 years for a factory sealed type). However, it's generally cheaper to buy a new one rather than pay for the extended 5 year service. Plastic parts are fine but are subject to UV degradation so you need to look for signs or crazing or white marks on plastic parts.

breezer said:
..so long as the guage is fine it shold be ok.
There's generally a small hole in the gauge glass that allows testing of the gauge. I won't say how to test it on here because you shouldn't really be messing with extinguishers if you don't know what you're doing.

crazycanuck said:
I do fire ext. training
You worry me.

I hope this has been of some use. If anyone wants any more information, just ask.
Cheers,
gcol

question for you then.

one of my extinguishers says fire test rating 55 B

can you tell me more about 55b

another one says

5A 34B C

can you tell me more about that one?

Yeah a 55B will put out a heptane and water fire of total 55 litres. I don't have the exact figures to hand cause I'm not at work, but it's about 2/3 fuel, 1/3 water (to keep the tray cool). So you can put out a fuel fire of about 37 litres. Of course this is in a metal tray of a certain size (again, figures at work).

Regarding your other one. What do you want to know? That rating is about right for a 1kg dry powder. Would put out a 0.5 metre long wooden crib and a 34 litre fuel fire in a tray (well about 24 litres of fuel actually).
I wouldn't read too much into the fire ratings, cause test conditions are not real life conditions and the guy that carries out the fire tests will be very experienced and get the best out of the extinguisher. The average Joe wouldn't be able to put out the fires detailed on the cylinder.

i was just curios that all. you have now satisfied my curiosity. thanks :)

Just abit of additional info if anyones interested...
I work for an oil terminal and we have over 100 extinguishers on site, all of these are serviced twice a year and we change them for new every ten years. I find that modern day extinguishers are very very reliable and in six years of working here I've never known one to fail a service. We also run fire extinguisher courses once a fortnight for new service station personnel where we discharge old extinguishers and again I've never known one to fail. As long as you buy a quality extinguisher with a kite mark ( a contractors Arco bought extinguisher had no kite mark ) and change it after ten years you should be alright....... probably!

carbon dioxide ones should be stretch tested every 10 years, but if you want to change it , do so.

Gcol......now theres a man who knows his onions....well fire extinguishers actually :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back