Fire Fire Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Put up a new garden fence - fresh coat of creosote on it. I then lit a fire to burn some of the excess wood and managed to set the whole thing on fire. #whatadick

Sponsored Links
Well if we all worked like this, the unemployment problem in the building trade would be solved.

Sponsored Links
p.s I think I would have got away with it if creosote wasnt so darn flammable......still unexcusable.

Maybe thats why the EEC banned creosote, along with many other useful things?

Wotan

You are not meant to be able to buy the proper soluent creosote any more!

Its all meant to be this water based emulsion which seems pretty useless to me.

Tony

Whenever I do a bonfire I always get the hosepipe unravelled and turned on ready just in case!

Never had to put anything out yet, but it came close when burning old fence panels I found the heat was so intense (big pile of thin, tinder-dry wood!) that the fence 10 feet away was getting damn hot so kept on giving it a good drenching until the first pile had burned down. Still could see the steam coming off the fence!

Kept the fire small after that...

The hosepipe's a good idea!
A good few years ago I decided to make a bonfire of the carcases of a couple of cheap MFI wardrobes. Didn't realise laminate was so flammable. The flames rose 15-20 feet and set fire to a nearby couple of birch trees alarming the neighbours who called the fire brigade.
The trees had stopped burning by the time they arrived so they kindly put my bonfire out instead! Surprisingly the trees recovered fine.

Of course the new version of creosote is 'creocote'. Sold in Wickes (other diy stores are available). Haven't yet tested its flammability for myself but mourn the demise of the proper stuff. The smell was terrific and it would start any stubborn bonfire!

Now just waiting for the PC members of the forum to shoot me down in flames!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back