Fire in Lounge, soon to be a bedroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a customer who's had a bit of an accident and now requires his Lounge to become his permanent bedroom. Inside this room is a 20 year old gas fire that is in good condition that they still want to use. Obviously, i'm not keen on this at all and would like to know exactly what the regs state. Is it still legal to continue to use an old fire like this in a room classed as a bedroom? Been flicking through my safety book and as with most of the documentation things aren't very clear.

They have no CH as backup, I'm wanting to recommend a new fire with an ASD but they seem to just want the fire checked over before going ahead. Battery CO detector will of course be fitted.

Sponsored Links
Can't be done.

The old fire will have to come out or disconnected at least.

Can't be done.

The old fire will have to come out or disconnected at least.

That is what I was thinking to be honest. I realise it's not ideal, but a new floor standing fire (something like a Brava ASD) with a CO detector is what i'm going to recommend I think. Other than that, they could go electric I guess but that would be their choice.

Sponsored Links
If the fire was fitted before 1996 then it's ncs unless its rented accommodation in which case its AR although if the room is only a temporary bedroom its ncs again.

If the fire was fitted before 1996 then it's ncs unless its rented accommodation in which case its AR although if the room is only a temporary bedroom its ncs again.

The fire is one of a kind! Haven't seen it for about a year so can't remember make and model but i've never seen anything like it elsewhere. I'd say it was mid Eighties to be honest.

NCS then. Interesting.

Sorry BG lads, not wanting to pick an argument, but I wouldn't go with BG rules as a sole trader.

We haven't the might of BG lawyers behind us to protect us ;)

Sorry BG lads, not wanting to pick an argument, but I wouldn't go with BG rules as a sole trader.

That's right Dave, ****ish gas legal team get plenty of practice and get away with murder; literally! :evil:

Nothing to do with bg g4u, from one of the recent viper updates which will be the same as bg as they come down from hse. Will be the same on any current unsafe situations booklet / list.

As long as its not rented then NCS, however I would really encourage the client to either have an Electric Heater fitted or repalce the Fire with a new one with oxy-pilot ;)

As long as its not rented then NCS, however I would really encourage the client to either have an Electric Heater fitted or repalce the Fire with a new one with oxy-pilot ;)

That's the plan I reckon. I'd even go as far as saying that if she refused to get a new fire, either electric or gas, then I will have nothing to do with the servicing of the existing fire. Even though it's only NCS, it's a situation I'm not happy with it so would rather be out of it having lost two fire services than have my name next to a potentially dangerous situation.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Would have thought fire would now be AR as op is going to make the lounge into a permanent bedroom.

Would be ok if fire has a ASD and is under 14kw gross {12.75 net}

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back