Fire stopping gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve had the plumbers in our building and they’ve left some holes in the walls which need fire stopping.

The walls are about 400mm thick single skin stonework.

Here are some pictures of one of the walls.

07464CD1-6B70-4E69-B3D2-210E2421F3A7.jpeg
1DA42619-E586-41BA-879E-7FB288CD4BFD.jpeg

The gas pipe runs through the wall in a steel sleeve and has some gaps around it. I was thinking of jabbing some rockwool into the gap and then sealing around it with acrylic intumescent mastic clicky

Firstly I want to check that this mastic is ok to use and won’t damage the pipework and secondly is it ok to fill both sides of the pipe / sleeve or do I need to leave one side open to the air?

Also as a side question, should the pipework be painted caramel colour or does it not really matter these days?

Sponsored Links
If it's to ensure that the integrity of a fire rated wall for fire regs and insurance etc is concerned then you would really look to fit collars at bother ends rather than just fill it. There may also be a requirement for certification which will require a professional approach to firs stopping. If there is no regulated requirement and it's more for your personal standards and safety then a high quality intumescent sealant will probably do the job.

The only thing is would look out for would be if the wall surface is suitable to seal properly against.

As long as the pipe is marked up as gas then the actual colour isn't as important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back