Fireplace backer

Reaction score
Country
United States
For an older Bis woodburning fireplace I have attached 1/4 hardie backer surround. It is loose against the fireplace sheet metal but secured to studs on both sides. While deciding on tiles, a hairline crack developed over the door of the fireplace. I filled with thinset (mapei ultraflex) and fiber tape. Weeks later, I burned a couple logs hot and the crack returned. Should I open the crack and refill? Or tile over the crack? ?? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This extends from directly above the door to the underside of the mantel.

Attachments

• FP Crack.jpg
    FP Crack.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
There is no cracking problem at the joints, just above the door where it has gotten hotter.

Attachments

• IMG_4503.jpeg
    IMG_4503.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 25
There are no metal studs. There are wood studs flanking the fireplace and a header above. You can see where the backer screws are driven in.

There are no metal studs. There are wood studs flanking the fireplace and a header above. You can see where the backer screws are driven in.
That seems a large unsupported distance for such thin boarding. I cant see the construction behind but it appears you could be very close to combustibles to comply with regs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back