First Fix nails for nail gun. Ring or smooth to build stud walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have borrewed a pasloded IM350 to speed build up of few studwall instead of suing screws.

As I have to buy some 90mm nail and found fishers to be cheaper than the original Paslode. I only have doubt if the nails need to be smooth or ring. Any help on this?

Sponsored Links
What the main difference between smooth and ring and what the beneficial of using one or the other?

Sponsored Links
when you whack a few in you’ll realise it makes no difference. there’s no budging either when they’re in.

Ring shank are intended to hold things together/ down when there may be forces (mainly wind forces) trying to pull them apart. Typically sheets or panels or fence pails. Not frames or structural timber work.

Bear in mind that smooth bare steel nails don't stay smooth (slippery) for long, but relatively quickly develop some surface rust (and associated expansion) which tightens their grip in the timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back