first time grouting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, we have a shower that has cracked grout that needs fixing up. Is it best to try and remove the old before applying the new grout?
Also what grout would be recommended please

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You only need to rake out enough to get a decent amount of new grout in between the tiles. For a shower, obviously, make sure you use waterproof grout.

You only need to rake out enough to get a decent amount of new grout in between the tiles. For a shower, obviously, make sure you use waterproof grout.
Thanks. The existing grout has cracks where it meets the tiles other than that is looks OK. Will see how easy it is to remove

If you mean that the corner joins have cracked, just use silicone sealant. If it is the corner joints, they should have been siliconed in the first place. The silicone is flexible and allows for slight movement.

Pictures would help though.

Sponsored Links
Waste of time if any of the tiles are loose as the background may have failed.

Tiles aren't loose. A lot of the grout has cracked between tiles so will go over all of those. Silicone at the bottom has a few gaps so will be doing that also
Will try post picture tomorrow

If the grout has cracked between tiles on the same wall, you probably have bigger problems.

Grout should not crack between tiles on the same wall. That suggests that the substrate has blown or expanded (as per @foxhole 's post)- often (but not always) as the result of water ingress.

If the substrate has blown, the new grout may, or may not, crack again. You may be lucky though, if the silicone at the bottom was the source of the water ingress, regrouting and redoing the silicone may prevent things from getting any worse.

Do not, under any circumstances use the adhesive/grout that is sold in tubs. Use a waterproof powder based grout. Mapei is good but a DIY shed may have an own brand in smaller bags.

I've attached a pic to help. Taken note of the above, thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20230929_110916251.jpg
    PXL_20230929_110916251.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 50
If the grout has cracked between tiles on the same wall, you probably have bigger problems.

Grout should not crack between tiles on the same wall. That suggests that the substrate has blown or expanded (as per @foxhole 's post)- often (but not always) as the result of water ingress.

If the substrate has blown, the new grout may, or may not, crack again. You may be lucky though, if the silicone at the bottom was the source of the water ingress, regrouting and redoing the silicone may prevent things from getting any worse.

Do not, under any circumstances use the adhesive/grout that is sold in tubs. Use a waterproof powder based grout. Mapei is good but a DIY shed may have an own brand in smaller bags.
Can you please let me know why tub based ready mixed waterproof grout is a bad idea? The mapei fix and grout has v good reviews and seems to fit the bill?
My plan is to scrape away a few mm off the existing grout then go over it with this

Can you please let me know why tub based ready mixed waterproof grout is a bad idea? The mapei fix and grout has v good reviews and seems to fit the bill?
My plan is to scrape away a few mm off the existing grout then go over it with this

I haven't used that particular product, and hence cannot comment on it. My experience of similar products is that they become very soft when soaked in water. You can soak tiles fixed with those kind of products and then, with ease, scrape away the product.

Powder based grout is cement based and is not reactivated by water. Equally, powder based adhesive does not become soft when wet.

I suspect that the Mapei product is aimed at DIYers. I often use their products, but would never use that one.

The above link shows the limitations.

It is also worth noting/considering that powder based grouts are easier to "polish" when dried. The tub stuff can be a mare.

It is up to you, but I would strongly recommend a powder based grout.

I haven't used that particular product, and hence cannot comment on it. My experience of similar products is that they become very soft when soaked in water. You can soak tiles fixed with those kind of products and then, with ease, scrape away the product.

Powder based grout is cement based and is not reactivated by water. Equally, powder based adhesive does not become soft when wet.

I suspect that the Mapei product is aimed at DIYers. I often use their products, but would never use that one.

The above link shows the limitations.

It is also worth noting/considering that powder based grouts are easier to "polish" when dried. The tub stuff can be a mare.

It is up to you, but I would strongly recommend a powder based grout.
Thanks I was a bit concerned when reading that power based grouts are not waterproof but it would make no sense being the case for shower grouts..

As you can see I only need a smallish amount for grouting in-between the tiles. What would you go for as I will get some tomorrow.

Thanks again

One of the DIY sheds may sell small boxes of water resistant grout.

Mapei- as far as I know the smallest bag is 2kg. That might cost £7-10 depending on where you go.

One of the DIY sheds may sell small boxes of water resistant grout.

Mapei- as far as I know the smallest bag is 2kg. That might cost £7-10 depending on where you go

Thanks yeah Mapei 2kg seems good. It states water repellant (more for drips). Is this OK compared the mapei premixed tub which says fully water resistant?

Last edited:
Thanks yeah Mapei 2kg seems good. It states water repellant (more for drips). Is this OK compared the mapei premixed tub which says fully water resistant?

The premixed tubs do not say that, as a grout, it is waterproof.

From the link I gave you earlier, the PDF says

"As a grout it is water resistant for application on walls in kitchens, bathrooms and showers."

The product that you linked to should be fine, it too is water resistant. I cannot find that exact product on the Mapei website. It does however say that it is fine for showers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back