Fitted kitchen wiring - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had some replacement kitchen units fitted and suspect that some of the wiring does not conform to the regs.
A new one-way 13A socket has been fitted onto the backboard (thin hardboard) of one of the base units. When you switch the socket or plug into it the whole lot moves in/out due to the flimsy nature of the backboard.
The socket twin & earth feed has been tapped from an existing 2-way socket located above the new worktop. The electrician has chased out down from the original socket to just below the worktop, added in the new cable and made good with plaster. The new cable emerges from the re-plastered section and hangs freely behind the unit. It is terminated into the new socket and a small gap showing bare copper exists between the earth sleeve and the socket connection.
Q1: Should the cables in the chased out section be protected by metal or plastic before being plastered in?
Q2: Should the new twin & earth cable be in conduit fixed to the wall behind the new base unit, or at least clamped in some way?
Q3: Should the new socket that is fitted to the flimsy hardboard back of the base unit be resited?
I need to be sure of my facts before I challenge the installer - any advice gratefully received

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Can you post any piccys?

Yes, I'll take some tonight after work - as a new user I'm not sure how I go about posting them though; presumably there's some info on the website, I'll have a look.

verena said:
Yes, I'll take some tonight after work - as a new user I'm not sure how I go about posting them though; presumably there's some info on the website, I'll have a look.

Take a look at the For Reference section - towards the end.

Sponsored Links
[quote="ban-all-sheds
Take a look at the For Reference section - towards the end.[/quote]

Thanks - I've now read the pics info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back