fitting a bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: ive decided to get someone to fit me a bathroom fan,6" i already have an outside airbrick (2 bricks wide) about 6" or just a tad over.

on the inside i have the vent cover,will it be ok to remove the vent cover(grill) and fit the fan there,save me making another hole and ruining the fully tiled wall?
3-4 FEET AWAY FROM SHOWER,ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE SHOWER,AND ABOUT 2 FEET HIGHER THAN ME WHEN IM STANDING IN THE BATH :LOL:

Do want one with a timer,that runs on after the lights are turned off and turns on when lights turned on never brought a fan before so no idea what to look for......what about the watts ???? The one below suitable? on e-bay by ''FANTRONIX''

Easy to retrofit into existing 150mm dia hole, no need to cut a big square hole in the wall like similar fans available.

Quiet running, only 37 dB(A) @ 3m!!

Back draught shutter included as standard.

Suitable for zone 3 bathrooms (see below) and can be wall or ceiling mounted.

Standard & Humidity versions available for our eBay shop.

ABS wipe clean plastic body.

240Vac, 24watts and moves 265m3/hour of air.

Sponsored Links
No such thing as Zone 3 in bathrooms any more.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:speclcn:bathroom_zones
I don't see a problem using the air brick/vent as installation point, sound s like it's outside zone 2 but that depends how tall you are.
ABOUT 2 FEET HIGHER THAN ME WHEN IM STANDING IN THE BATH
If your a midget or vertically challenged to be more PC, that could still be an issue.
I have linked you to the safe zones within bathrooms, you can make judgement from that information.
The electrical installation is deemed notifiable work, so building controls must be informed. Either by yourself or by a registered electrician, a fee is payable on application.
It would end up being cheaper to employ an electrician that is a member of the a domestic installer scheme (competent person), as they can self certificate the work, costing a lot less than building control fees.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

thanks all......my electrician has told me get a 1500mm (6") fan which is low voltage 12v.
I already have a hole cut out which measures 6inch x 8 inch 10 inch deep.
Icould do with a fan with a timer,but they seem to be very expensive,if i was to buy one without a timer how would it work,i.e would it be directly wired to the bahtroom pull cord light switch?

Anyone recommend me a 150 mm 6 inch 12v fan?

Sponsored Links
The timer ones don't usually cost a lot more.

Perhaps you're looking a model which is just expensive.

ok guys,ive had 3 different electricians in and they say i dont need to have a low voltage fan!.........so please help me a bit more,,,,,,,this is what ive seen now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRACTOR...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item5ace8db39c

please check dimensions when you scroll down(im no very good at this)
the hole in the wall i have is exactly 6"x8" will it fit,will the screws line up? if not il need to pack the hole in the wall with something,,,,,,,,any ideas?

Is the fan ok? goodbrand?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
ok guys,ive had 3 different electricians in and they say i dont need to have a low voltage fan!.
That is correct
the hole in the wall i have is exactly 6"x8" will it fit,will the screws line up?
Looks ok (assume 6 high x8 wide) although the screw holes will only be about half an inch form the edge. You'll have to drill carefully.
Also the fan is only just a fraction wider than 8".
if not il need to pack the hole in the wall with something,,,,,,,,any ideas?
You could buy extension pipe into which the fan will fit. Put pipe in the wall and cement/fill space.
I don't know the brand but the specifications are very good.

Here is their website.
http://www.ventilation-system.com/item/469/Vents_150_M/

ok guys,ive had 3 different electricians in and they say i dont need to have a low voltage fan!.
That is correct
the hole in the wall i have is exactly 6"x8" will it fit,will the screws line up?
Looks ok (assume 6 high x8 wide) although the screw holes will only be about half an inch form the edge. You'll have to drill carefully.
Also the fan is only just a fraction wider than 8".
if not il need to pack the hole in the wall with something,,,,,,,,any ideas?
You could buy extension pipe into which the fan will fit. Put pipe in the wall and cement/fill space.
I don't know the brand but the specifications are very good.

Here is their website.
http://www.ventilation-system.com/item/469/Vents_150_M/[/QUOTE]
they are in Ukraine
ummmmmmm ,il go for that i think tomorrow,looks good,thanks for the info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back