Bathroom extractor wall suggestions

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will soon be turning a box room into a bathroom. I can see on the outside there is an old wall air vent (about 6 inch square I guess) that is covered inside. I reckon this will be perfect for an extractor fan, so save running vents through loft / insulation, or creating a hole in the 9 inch solid wall.

Any suggestions for the most suitable fans for such a project? Are there any that come with an isolation switch so it can be turned off when people are not showing (which is most of the time!)?

Sponsored Links
Any suggestions for the most suitable fans for such a project?
The main considerations are that it physically fits into the hole in the wall, the extraction rate is sufficient, and the location of the fan relative to where air enters the room is sensible.

Others include whether the fan is controlled with it's own switch or activated at the same time as the light, or when the shower is used, taps turned on, movement is detected, etc.
Some have timers to allow it to continue for a certain time after the switch is turned off, others do not.

Are there any that come with an isolation switch
No. Isolation switches are separate items, and are therefore purchased and installed separately.

This is notifiable work if in England or Wales.

Are there any that come with an isolation switch so it can be turned off when people are not showing (which is most of the time!)?
If you just mean an on-off switch then, yes some have an integral pull cord.

However you want it to work can be achieved with the wiring; the fan is just a fan.

Sponsored Links
You should be fitting a fan with an over-run timer, If the room does not have other forms of ventilation.
Operation of the fan controlled by the light switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back