Fitting a blank plate

Doesn't matter..

Join the two reds together in a terminal block and the blue and black in another, then the earth wires together (yellow/green)

Then fit the blanking plate.

You will need to find out what the other yellow wire does, I suspect nothing, if so, put this in its own block too.

It doesn't matter…… just connect it ! Do you work for BG ?

Regards, DS

Sponsored Links
I would personally want to find out what those cables were all about. However, if one simply wanted to maintain the status quo, but with a blank plate rather than the switch (and IF one could determine how to safely isolate those cables so that one could do the work), then I suppose that to do as xr4x4 suggested would leave things functionally as they are now (apart from the absence of a switch), even if one didn't necessarily understand what that functionality was!

Kind Regards, John

Doesn't matter..

Join the two reds together in a terminal block and the blue and black in another, then the earth wires together (yellow/green)

You will need to find out what the other yellow wire does, I suspect nothing, if so, put this in its own block too.

Regards, DS

Nope, I'm just a bloke who gets stuff done and doesn't worry about the whatever's, whys and wherefores...it bores me.

:D

But I would be concerned what the yellow wire does, it's not clear from the picture.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't matter..

Regards, DS

I'd be disconnecting all of them (except earth), if there is an unconnected cable on the end that used to power a fan

Doesn't matter..

Regards, DS

I'd be disconnecting all of them (except earth), if there is an unconnected cable on the end that used to power a fan

The Reds are already connected together, so are the blue and black.

The only cable that's possibly switched is the yellow.

What's the difference to what I said?

The Reds are already connected together, so are the blue and black. The only cable that's possibly switched is the yellow. What's the difference to what I said?
I suspect that what Andy was suggesting is that (given th uncertainties about where the cables go) he would 'unconnect' the two reds, and 'unconnect' the blue and back, and terminate all of the five live conductors (two reds, black, blue and yellow) separately in a connector block or whatever, and would only leave the two earths connected.

Kind Regards, John

Exactly John. Just because they are connected now doesn't mean it's right
Thanks for confirming that I interpreted you correctly. If one doesn't know what the switch does, it's probably a wise approach. In fact, as I said, I think I'd probably want to discover where the power was coming from (assuming it is!) and disconnect the supply at t'other end.

Kind Regards, John

I was more concerned that we were told there used to be a fan which has been removed. The end of the wire could just be taped up and don't want to leave the red live.
Or neutral to short to earth and cause rcd probs.

I was more concerned that we were told there used to be a fan which has been removed. The end of the wire could just be taped up and don't want to leave the red live. Or neutral to short to earth and cause rcd probs.
Yes, I realised that - and that's why I agreed with you (rather than with xr4x4). However, as I said, I'd probably be more inclined to try to de-energise who whole 'circuit'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back