Fitting a blank plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am a new home owner and need some advice on fitting a blank plate.

This was the switch for an electric shower which since has been removed so I would like to remove it and fit a blank plate in its place.

I would need to remove the switch, after shutting off the power obviously, and then do what?

Do I wire into a junction box, and in what order?

Any helpful suggestions are welcome :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,what size of shower was it (kw) the switch seems to have been bye-passed ?

More detail and then we can advise best action to take.

Regards,

DS

Hi,

I honestly don't know, it's long gone now, ripped out 4 months ago roughly. Is there any other way I can find out?

I suspect it's a switch fuse spur on a ring for a pumped shower, and the plumber removed the flex from spur when removing the shower - DS.

Sponsored Links
If you check at your CU (fusebox) you should have a circuit marked shower ? You must make sure the supply to the switch is switched off before you do anything. It's the wiring leaving the switch i would want to disconect do you know if that has been made safe ?

Regards,

DS

Switched live?
Sure, if it's for a fan, it might well be - but what I'm not sure of is where (if anywhere) the yellow goes at the switch - it appears to take a pretty circuitous route and then ends up near an earth terminal!

Kind Regards, John

It may well be for a fan, there was an extractor fan that was ripped out also! Apologies for the confusion, I'm not very savvy on this!

Doesn't matter..

Join the two reds together in a terminal block and the blue and black in another, then the earth wires together (yellow/green)

Then fit the blanking plate.

You will need to find out what the other yellow wire does, I suspect nothing, if so, put this in its own block too.

Isolate circuit a consumer unit/fuse board. Test circuit at switch/isolator plate is dead and no other required equipment has been powered down.
If not then you can disconnect the circuit at the unit/board. Terminate cables safely, in case of accidental power up, and blank off.

It looks very much like a ex-fan set-up.
I would disconnect the three core cable and earth and terminate all cores together.
And terminate supply live, neutral and earth individually

Switched live?
Sure, if it's for a fan, it might well be - but what I'm not sure of is where (if anywhere) the yellow goes at the switch - it appears to take a pretty circuitous route and then ends up near an earth terminal!

Kind Regards, John

I think yellow of 3&e is at load live, the other yellow is for neon indicator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back