Fitting a blanking plate

Sponsored Links
OK then. Good stuff. So either:

a) take the earth wire out of the choc box, sleeve it, and connect it to a screw on the metal back box instead (there is no screw yet - the box is old)
or
b) sleeve the earth that I've got running into the choc box, run another earth wire (tail) out from the choc box, and onto a screw in the metal box.
or
c) leave it all as-is, because the socket that was on there was dead in the first place

c) leave it all as-is, because the socket that was on there was dead in the first place[/QUOTE] :rolleyes:

Heh. Yeah, I know.
I've run a voltage detector over and around the socket with all the power in the house turned back on, and it's not detecting any voltage, so I'm leaving as-is.
There's a blanking plate there now, and a new radiator is going in front of it, so if there's any work to be done in that vicinity in the future, the sparky will know there are old wires there.
Thanks for all your advice, guys. I've learnt summat.

Sponsored Links
If the property had off peak electric heating, it's possible that the socket was only live when the heating supply was on.
You best check that the supply for the heating is disconnected. Or you could have a BANG! at bedtime,and not the type you're hoping for !

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back