1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitting a commando socket in Garage

Discussion in 'Electrics Outside of the UK' started by amateurSparky, 18 Mar 2011.

1. amateurSparky

amateurSparky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hi
    My dad has an welder which currently he's having to wire directly to the back of a socket! It's says on the welder that I max 32A.

I recall that it means it can draw upto 32Amps of current. However originally the circuit to the Garage was only meant for 2 double sockets. So it has 16A breaker on the distribution board and local 27A RCD (in the garage).

I'm currently studying my 2330. Because we've not covered breakers in great detail I'm unsure of what to do.

I'm assuming the 16A breaker isn't going to be good enough. I'm guessing I need at least a 32A breaker in the appropriate slot. But am I correct in assuming I've also got to keep that side of the board balanced otherwise I'll trip the RCD on the consumer unit?

Also I'll probably have to replace the RCD in the garage to a bigger one.

So some advice on the above and explaination is called for

I'm actually living in the UK

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Spark123

Spark123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unfortunately I'm not up to speed on Canadian electrics.
    I can guess it won't be as simple as just sticking another MCB in without ensuring everything else is correct but best to check with a local electrician.

4. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You'll also need to upgrade the cable feeding the garage as the existing cable is unlikely to rated for 32 amps.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local