Fitting a dimmer switch thats not on lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my extension wired up but it turns out the light switch has been wired onto same circuit as lower wall sockets. The light switch plate has a 3 amp fuse incorporated. I quickly spoke to the guy who was a subcontractor but he said he wasnt instructed to fit a dimmer switch and had no time to redo this job. How can I replace this with a dimmer switch ?

Sponsored Links
you cant.

the thing you are looking at is a fused connection unit, you must have one as the supply is a spur from the sockets.

how ever you can fit a dimmer after it.

connect it in series with the live supply AFTER the FCU

Switch mains off take cable from fcu to dimmer add new cable (same size) from dimmer to FCU connect in FCU as it was (On the load side)

at the dimmer you should now have 6 wires, 3 in 3 out

join the blue ones in a choc bloc, put sleaving on the earths and connect them to the earth terminal of the patress you just installed (if you have a metal dimmer run a short wire from the dimmer earth to the patress earth terminal.

tou should now have 2 brown wires not connected to anything left.

these go to the dimmer switch.

the dimmer switch needs to be suitably rated for the lights you wish to dim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back