fitting a dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light switch I want to replace with a dimmer switch, problem is only one switch controls the light yet every dimmer switch I see is 1 gang 2 way, does it make a difference?

Sponsored Links
also there is 3 live cables going to the com port on the current light switch, 2 live(one black) going to the l1/l2 part of the switch, 3 neutrals in a choccy clock connector and an earth in a choccy block connector

why does this look so different than youtube videos which only have one of each wire?

I have a light switch I want to replace with a dimmer switch, problem is only one switch controls the light yet every dimmer switch I see is 1 gang 2 way, does it make a difference?
No.

also there is 3 live cables going to the com port on the current light switch, 2 live(one black) going to the l1/l2 part of the switch, 3 neutrals in a choccy clock connector and an earth in a choccy block connector

why does this look so different than youtube videos which only have one of each wire?
Because the videos don't show looping at the switch.

just pulled my old light switch out and it had the switched live and a live in one terminal L1, then 3 live wires were in the com port, on my new fitting it says to put the switched live into the com port and the live into L2, I'm confused.

I cant rewire it like the old switch as I cannot physically fit the 3 live wires that were in the com port on the old switch into the new switch, only 2 at a time

Sponsored Links
just pulled my old light switch out and it had the switched live and a live in one terminal L1,
If they are in the same terminal then they must be the same thing - either both permanent line or both switched.

then 3 live wires were in the com port, on my new fitting it says to put the switched live into the com port and the live into L2, I'm confused.
It'll work either way round.

You should try and remedy your confusion

I cant rewire it like the old switch as I cannot physically fit the 3 live wires that were in the com port on the old switch into the new switch, only 2 at a time
You may need some extra connectors, e.g.

WA101.JPG
WA112.JPG

Is there spare space inside the light for them?

is there anything else I can do with the 3 looped live wires like put them in a choc block, as I cannot fit all 3 com port on the new fitting?

right ive managed to put the 3 loop live wires into a choc block, can I just wire a small stretch of cable from the 3 wires to 1 wire to go in the com port?

sorry for the multiple updates I'm just checking if this is ok, i put all 3 of the looped live wires into a terminal block, then used a short length of wire from the terminal block to the L1 connector on the new dimmer switch.

I then put both of the other live wires which were in the L1 port on the old switch (i believe one controls the extractor fan) into the COM port on the new fitting (on the dimmer switch instructions it says to do this)

the dimmer switch works fine, dims well, turns off and on and the extractor fan is fine, is it safe what i have done?

all the neutrals and earth i have left connected in the choc blocks they were already in as it is a plastic switch

sorry for the multiple updates I'm just checking if this is ok, i put all 3 of the looped live wires into a terminal block, then used a short length of wire from the terminal block to the L1 connector on the new dimmer switch.

I then put both of the other live wires which were in the L1 port on the old switch (i believe one controls the extractor fan) into the COM port on the new fitting (on the dimmer switch instructions it says to do this)

the dimmer switch works fine, dims well, turns off and on and the extractor fan is fine, is it safe what i have done?

all the neutrals and earth i have left connected in the choc blocks they were already in as it is a plastic switch
Sorry to pester you all but does this sound ok? Based on my understanding of lighting circuits and the fact its working fine seems ok to me but its weird how the fitting says to put the wires that were in L1 into the com port and the wires that were in com to the L2 port

It's showing that for one way switching it doesn't matter whether you use L1 or L2 (upside-downiness notwithstanding) and it doesn't matter whether you use COM for 'in' or 'out'.

It's showing that for one way switching it doesn't matter whether you use L1 or L2 (upside-downiness notwithstanding) and it doesn't matter whether you use COM for 'in' or 'out'.
So your saying it doesent matter that the 3 looped live are in L1 and the 2 switched live are in com basically, i.e. it would work either way? And is it ok to use the connector block to convert the 3 looped live to one wire?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back