Fitting a Hive V1 Central Heating and Hot Water into a Combi Boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a Hive V1 heating and hot water as the heating only was sold out and I was wondering if this can be installed with a combi boiler.

I have had a look and the only difference i can see between the 2 versions is one has a common connection and the other has a hot water on and off connection. Any instructions would be great and when i get home i will upload some more details like what boiler i have and pictures of wires etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the boiler uses mains voltage switching for an external thermostat, it should be possible.

If the boiler uses other voltages then forget it.

A lot will depend upon your boiler. The heating and hot water version of the Hive is only suitable for boilers with 230v control circuits, because the switching contacts are linked inside the Hive to 230v. The single channel version used for combi's has potential free contacts that can be connected to any voltage.

As some combi's use 24v for their controls, the dual channel version cannot be used with them. Your boiler manual will advise.

Right first thing i will check is what voltage it uses when I get back.

Thanks for the help so far :)

Sponsored Links
Right so the boiler is a Greenstar 30i ErP Condensing Combi Boiler.

Also it says in the manual that it's supply is 230V - 50Hz.

Let me know what other pictures you need.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_1421.JPG
    IMG_1421.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1423.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_1425.JPG
    IMG_1425.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
OK thanks

Just some additional information. Is the Siemens thermostat receiver wired up as follows:

Grey to programmer terminal 4
Black to programmer terminal 3
Brown to programmer Live
Blue to programmer Neutral

The black wire leaving terminal 1 of the programmer should go to the boiler. At the boiler is it connected to a terminal marked 'L 230v out' or 'LR'?

The black wire leaving terminal 3 of the programmer should go to the boiler. At the boiler is it connected to a terminal marked 'L 230v out' or 'LR'?

Last edited:
Ok so I mapped them all out below as best I can.

Seimens box:
N - blue
L - brown
1 -
2 -
3 - black
4 - grey

Drayton Timeswitch:
Boiler wire 1:
N - blue
L - brown
1 - black
2 -
3 -
4 - grey
Earth - green yellow

Boiler wire 2:
N - blue
L - brown
1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -
Earth - green yellow

Inside boiler:

Black wire - L (230V Out)
White wire - L (230V Out to LR hot water symbol)
Grey wire - LR heating symbol
Yellow green wire - Earth
Brown wire - L 230V In
Blue wire - N 230V In

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1429.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 307
First of all remove the Siemens receiver wires from the programmer.

Then with the wires that are left:
The wires in N at the existing Programmer goes to N at the Hive
The wires in L at the existing Programmer goes to L at the Hive

The main supply to the boiler remains as it is:
Yellow green wire - Earth
Brown wire - L 230V In
Blue wire - N 230V In

'Grey wire - LR heating symbol' from the boiler goes to 'Heating on' terminal 4 at the Hive.

The "Black wire - L (230V Out)" from the boiler is not needed anymore as the Hive is linked to a 230V supply internally, so this can be removed. [Don't leave this floating because it is connected to 230V at the boiler end]

I'm not sure about the boilers "White wire - L (230V Out to LR hot water symbol)" I can't see it properly in your boiler wiring photo and I can't see where it comes from. I believe that this is a pre-heat function for the hot water, and if so, you could possibly use the Hive hot water program for this and connect it to 'Hot water on' from terminal 3 at the Hive. Alternatively, it may already be linked to a live somewhere, if so you can leave it as it is.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you know I followed your instructions and I now have the hive all set up and working perfectly.

Thanks for all the help it was really appreciated

Great thanks for the feedback, it's nice to hear how you got on. Just for my curiosity, did you connect the Hive to the 'LR Hot Water' or did you leave it as it was.

I ended up just leaving the white wire where it was and everything continued to work the way it had been up to now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back