Fitting a new shower arm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we need to replace our shower arm because the old one was leaking. After taking off the shower arm there is a pipe protruding from the wall that doesn't allow us to screw a new one in. Can someone help diagnose what this is and what we need to do. I bought a screw fit one from Amazon but can't screw it into the wall, and have just bought this push fit one (link below) but having just received it the parts which I thought would go on over the pipe don't fit so I'm back to square one.
https://www.tapwarehouse.com/p/cass-sfk-rdarm

Pictures attached, includin g one of what was previously on the wall.

Please help, I want a shower :(

Attachments

• shower 2.jpg
    shower 2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 229
  • shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 231
Sponsored Links
What is the (outside) diameter of the pipe coming out of the wall?

Is it damaged at all?

I don't think it's damaged, no. I'm struggling to reach up and measure it and get a proper figure. But I think it's either 15mm or 18mm, does that sound right? It looks like it might have a little nut on the end of it but I'm not sure if it's fixed to it or not and don't want to damage by trying to remove...

Hi, we've had another look. We are pretty sure it's 15mm but that there is this nut on it which we can't get off. attaching some other better pictures that a taller person than me has taken!

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• shower 4.JPG
    shower 4.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 210
  • shower 3.JPG
    shower 3.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 219
  • shower 7.JPG
    shower 7.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 211
  • shwer 5.JPG
    shwer 5.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 217
  • shwer 6.JPG
    shwer 6.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 225
Sponsored Links
The brass " shaft" sticking out the wall ,is one part of your old shower arm.
If you unscrew it( using a spanner on the flats, what you call the nut ),and remove it , what you have ,set into the wall , is a female threaded fitting.
You will need to establish what size thread it is ,and then source a new arm that has the same threaded fitting.

The brass " shaft" sticking out the wall ,is one part of your old shower arm.
If you unscrew it( using a spanner on the flats, what you call the nut ),and remove it , what you have ,set into the wall , is a female threaded fitting.
You will need to establish what size thread it is ,and then source a new arm that has the same threaded fitting.
It isn't budging at all when we try to remove it, any tips? Seems totally stuck...

Oh dear ,if it doesn't unscrew ( anti clockwise ) you could try to tighten the other direction ,may just free it up. If it absolutely will not unscrew then your in for a lot of grief ,as it may be permanently attached to the supply pipe ,although I personally think that unlikely.

Thanks, really appreciate your help! Will give another go. If permanently attached, is there a specific type of shower arm I can get that will work with it?

Without knowing the make / model of the original , your gonna struggle.
If you have a micrometer you could take an accurate measurement of the diameter of the brass ,and also the seals diameter. Armed with that info ,any hollow tube ,with compatible diameter ,shower arm would probably work.

Never seen that before but cut/break off the washers and metal behind the nut maybe it’s a push fit type grab ring.
If that doesn’t release it your gonna need a plumber. The pictures ain the best focused to be honest

Can you take some better focused and better lit photos of the wall fitting? Preferably a bit closer in as well. There may be another way of doing this but need more detailed photos to advise further

Thanks all... Here are what I hope are some better pictures. I also think that this it was a Triton shower and this was the instruction manual, I think. https://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/pub/media/custom/upload/p/d/File-1344503780.pdf

We've been trying to unscrew the piece but the we're gripping it and just can't get it to turn. The plumbers in our area aren't getting back to us or don't want to come out because of C19 so we're just a bit stuck.

I've bought a couple of shower arms now but none of them work because of this bloody pipe sticking out of the wall :(

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 209
That definitely is screwed into a threaded fitting , the thread sealing tape is clearly visible . Are you turning it anti clockwise ? And what are you using ,hopefully not a very short spanner ??

Thanks! Yeah, turning it anti clockwise but it doesnt seem to budge and we've sprayed WD40 on it - any tips for loosening it? I think what we're using are some 10" grove joint pliers - anything else you would recommend. Thank you so much for all your replies so far, tearing our hair out with this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back