Fitting Expelair CF40

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry if you've had this one before, but I'm about to embark on fitting the above fan into my kitchen.

I have a few questions if anyone has time to answer...

1) The fan connectors are: E, N, T, LH (High Speed), LL (Low Speed). Would the following be correct?

E (Ceiling Rose) > E (Fan)
N (Ceiling Rose) > DP Switch > N (Fan)
SL (Ceiling Rose) > DP Switch > LH (Fan)

The wiring instructions for the fan say to for the Live to go through a DP switch, through a fuse, split into 2: one to LH and one to T via optional lamp?

Can someone explain that to me as I'm lost - especially about splitting into 2 and the optional lamp? (google wiring diagram for clarification)

Secondly, I'm not yet sure whether the lighting ring has an Earth. What would the procedure be if there is no Earth in the lights?

I really appreciate any/all help on this one.

Sponsored Links
One other thing sorry.

In terms of situating the fan, would it be totally wrong to place it above the cooker between the back door and window. The replacement air should come from the kitchen door leading into the hallway rather than the back door, or window.

Secondly, I'm not yet sure whether the lighting ring has an Earth. What would the procedure be if there is no Earth in the lights?
That's an easy one - don't fit the fan. Either get one that doesn't need an earth or, much much better, rewire the lighting circuit.

In terms of situating the fan, would it be totally wrong to place it above the cooker between the back door and window.
Unless it's sold as a cooker extractor fan it would be totally wrong.

Sponsored Links
That's an easy one - don't fit the fan. Either get one that doesn't need an earth or, much much better, rewire the lighting circuit.

Would it be an option to put it to a fused switch instead of the lights?

In terms of situating the fan, would it be totally wrong to place it above the cooker between the back door and window.
Unless it's sold as a cooker extractor fan it would be totally wrong.
When I say above the cooker, I meant ceiling height above the cooker. Could you elaborate on why it would be so wrong to do that and where would be the best place to situate it?

I only have one external wall with the door being on the far left, the cooker almost behind the door, a large window and then approx 2 metres of wall with cupboards.

I appreciate all your input, but it would be really helpful if you could explain your answers a little more.

1) The fan connectors are: E, N, T, LH (High Speed), LL (Low Speed).
No they aren't. According to the diagram for the CF40 here they are E, N, T & LH.

Would the following be correct?

E (Ceiling Rose) > E (Fan)
N (Ceiling Rose) > DP Switch > N (Fan)
SL (Ceiling Rose) > DP Switch > LH (Fan)
Not according to the diagram for the CF40 here.

Do you want the fan to only be able to be switched on when the light is on, and for the timer, if it has one, not to work when you turn the light off?

The wiring instructions for the fan say to for the Live to go through a DP switch, through a fuse, split into 2: one to LH and one to T via optional lamp?
No they don't - the diagram for the CF40 here shows the switched live going to T. How on earth can you think that this:

t227590.jpg

shows the live going to T via the lamp? The lamp is clearly connected between live & neutral.

Can someone explain that to me as I'm lost - especially about splitting into 2 and the optional lamp?
Seriously - if you cannot understand an incredibly simple diagram like that, please get an electrician.

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

If I'm honest I don't understand the diagram. The electrician is certainly something I couldn't rule out, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to learn.

Rest assured, as obtuse as I clearly appear to you, I'm not quite so daft as to have a go without having a relatively clear picture of what I'm doing - even if I don't fully understand it.

If anyone feels like explaining the diagram in terms a 3 year old could understand, I truly would be very grateful indeed. :)

If I'm honest I don't understand the diagram. The electrician is certainly something I couldn't rule out, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to learn.

Rest assured, as obtuse as I clearly appear to you, I'm not quite so daft as to have a go without having a relatively clear picture of what I'm doing - even if I don't fully understand it.

If anyone feels like explaining the diagram in terms a 3 year old could understand, I truly would be very grateful indeed. :)

Could you elaborate on why it would be so wrong to do that
It will get clogged with grease.

I only have one external wall
That would be the best place to situate it.
I know that, but that's the one with the cooker on it! I meant my options are limited with regard to placement near to a cooker.

I would have opted for a extractor hood, but it's the old style cooker with the grill above and someone told me the hoods aren't so good with those.

What would you recommend to control the condensation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back