Fitting mains powered smoke alarms.

Then you think it’s ok to tell someone that it is ok ignore the law if you think the legislation is unrealistic?
Whatever else? It’s ok not to have an EICR done on your rented property?
You can drive at 150mph on any road?
Unbelievable…

Sponsored Links
How will wee Nippie's minions know whether you have smoke alarms or not? Does that bit of Scots legislation include a statutory right of entry for the smoke detector police?

They need to be installed correctly by a competent person. Not necessarily an electrician,
If competent then he/she is an electrician.

I know in Wales the fire service will install smoke alarms, yet I had a problem with mothers house, the social services installed linked to a call centre smoke alarms, removing the existing ones installed by the fire service, so when I got house re-wired I did not include smoke alarms as already fitted, on her death social services came and removed the equipment, so house sold with no working smoke alarms as council removed or disabled them.

Seem to remember Nest doing a linked smoke alarm, which seems odd when their wall thermostat is one of very few at that price not linked to TRV heads.

However as to UKCA marked equipment not so sure, as yet not seen the logo on a single bit of equipment. I would think Scotland may have a supply problem.

As to mains powered, I noted in my house only smoke alarms in the flat under the main house, and there is a RCBO labelled smoke alarms so assumed mains powered, however they started beeping, and had to renew the PP3 battery to stop them beeping, so really not sure if mains powered.

Also linked, likely was part of the intruder alarm, which from state of wiring I would assume does not work.

I remember working for a firm and being called to a noise in the security hut which they did not know what it was, it was the panic button in main reception which had been in error luckily, to summon help in an emergency.

Alarms are only any good if people know what it is sounding for, like the reversing bleeper, unless a well known sound, useless, having it say "beware I am reversing" is only any good for English speakers, and so many items produce white noise also useless.

I have never heard my smoke alarm sound, at work yes, guy goes around with a smoke generator and tests them all, but at home that is unlikely to happen.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't live in London I am in Wales, and we are talking about Scotland, 1st January 2021 has passed, so nothing should be placed on the market without the markings.
Not true. Existing stock can still be sold for starters. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-ukca-marking

The UKCA marking came into effect on 1 January 2021. However, to allow businesses time to adjust to the new requirements, you will still be able to use the CE marking until 1 January 2023 in most cases.

Every tiny Croft or bedsit is never going to get this done in three months are they?

They've know about it since January 2019. If they want to leave it until there is no time left then that is their own fault.

They've know about it since January 2019. If they want to leave it until there is no time left then that is their own fault.
Very true, we saw the same with the landlord law in England. And
Every tiny Croft or bedsit is never going to get this done
is likely true as to have mains powered smoke alarms you need mains, and even in Wales not as rugged as Scotland and the hamlet of Abergeirw was only connected to national grid on 19th December 2008, I am sure there are still tiny crofts without mains power. I know working on the Falklands also a bleak place mainly populated by Scottish descendants they had small houses which were only used when gathering sheep for maybe two weeks a year, the Lister generator was only started when they wanted lights, and the stoves were peat, so pointless having a smoke alarm running off the generator.

As to if considered as farm buildings or homes not sure.

But living in Wales what Scotland does is of little interest, in Wales there were moves to have sprinklers fitted in new builds, but for a sprinkler to work it needs water, so the roof has to be much stronger to take the weight, and the builders pointed out what it would mean in cost but think still In October 2013, the National Assembly for Wales passed new Building Regulations that require an automatic fire suppression system (commonly referred to as a fire sprinkler system) to be installed in new and converted homes in Wales. ... This will be within a short time of the fire starting. Hope no one still has carbide lamps!

Title was "Fitting mains powered smoke alarms." so assumed asks for mains power.

Yes, the thread title is but as far as the Scottish regs go, crofts and bedsits were mentioned, batteries are fine.

I would assume most folk had no idea of the change until they started running radio adds a couple of months ago and various companies started taking out full page news paper ads for their smoke alarms.

Title was "Fitting mains powered smoke alarms." so assumed asks for mains power.

Yes as the point of the post was to ask if me as the home owner who is not an electrician, but is capable of isolating a circuit & matching up brown/blue & green wires can replace what's there with mains powered units that link via wifi/RF

Seem to remember Nest doing a linked smoke alarm, which seems odd when their wall thermostat is one of very few at that price not linked to TRV heads.
If you read the link in my above post to the Scot gov document, they state that the NEST devices to not comply with their requirements.

[QUOTE="ericmark, post: 5073955, member: 75698"

In Wales there were moves to have sprinklers fitted in new builds, but for a sprinkler to work it needs water, so the roof has to be much stronger to take the weight![/QUOTE]
In England it common to have a large tank of water in the loft with no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back