Fitting new light fitting

Single and earth too, yes. I helped on a rewire in 1982 when it was used and have seen it on younger installs, although by around the mid-late 80's, it was dying out.
What was it mainly used for? It's obviously non-ideal from the EMC viewpoint.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have seen it in all areas of lighting installs, domestic and commercial.

I have seen it in all areas of lighting installs, domestic and commercial.
I guessed/assumed that we were talking about lighting circuits, but I was wondering what single+earth cable was commonly be used for (functionally) within such circuits - since it not obvious (to me!).

Kind Regards, John

what single+earth cable was commonly be used for
Split loop systems where the neutrals are looped at the ceiling rose and lines at the switches for maximum inconvenience.

Other uses include borrowed neutral mess where morons have added wall lights with a single line from the ceiling rose and a single neutral from a nearby socket outlet, two lights in the same room wired in series, and bizarre switching arrangements which never work properly.

Sponsored Links
Split loop systems where the neutrals are looped at the ceiling rose and lines at the switches for maximum inconvenience. .... Other uses include borrowed neutral mess where morons have added wall lights with a single line from the ceiling rose and a single neutral from a nearby socket outlet, two lights in the same room wired in series, and bizarre switching arrangements which never work properly.
Thanks. That seems broadly consistent with the fact that I could think of very few situations in which single+earth cable would be used (for a sensible, reasonable and legitimate reason.

The examples you give are of things that caused 'maximum inconvenience', 'never worked properly' and/or were 'done by morons'. Does that mean that there were very few situations in which a competent and sensible electrician would have used such cable?

Kind Regards, John

The split-loop method is the same as what you might find in a lighting circuit installed with singles in conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back