Fitting new light switchs and plug sockets.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Just starting some decorating now :cry: and the existing light switches and plug sockets have already been painted over and rather shabby.
So I want to exchange the light switch and plug sockets,like for like all plastic, am I allowed to do this I understand there are regulations in place but I am competent to do it and I want to know if I am breaking any regulations ?.
Property will be for sale later this year and I am sure the new fittings will be noticed,i will be using MK fitings through out.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
yes you are allowed to do this.

Pay close attention on the light switches, note where the wires go and take photos before removing wires.

Natasha: You are right. Loose connections can cause sparks and in extreme circumstances, fire.

However, under UK rules and regulations and laws, he is allowed to proceed with this work.

Electrical code in the US may allow splicing of wires and joints and the covering of them with electrical tape, but that practice is frowned upon in the UK, unless those joints are soldered first. Even then, the use of tape is not advised as it will not stand the test of time. Heat-shrink sleeving is the best option.

I do concur that you need to prevent conductors becoming inadvertently "electrified". It is a little unclear here whether you are talking about unused conductors, in which case this is best done by connecting them to earth, or ground, as you say in the US, or whether you are referring to short circuit.

Just starting some decorating now :cry: and the existing light switches and plug sockets have already been painted over and rather shabby.
I hate that, why do people seem to think it is acceptable to paint the accessories on to the wall? :evil:
So I want to exchange the light switch and plug sockets,like for like all plastic, am I allowed to do this I understand there are regulations in place but I am competent to do it and I want to know if I am breaking any regulations ?.
There are no regulations stating you cannot do the proposed work, but precautions should be made prior to removal and replacing. Firstly proving safe isolation is important, as is making yourself familiar with the system you are working on and a little knowledge of wiring techniques would be helpful. Also take pictures, drawings, notes of the existing connection of conductors to their associated terminals or you could end up scratching your head in the dark! So you need a two pole voltage detector, a note pad/pen/pencil, possibly a digi camera facility, insulated hand tools and maybe a torch!

It is quite possible that on removal of existing plates, that conductors become loose or broken without your knowledge and require to be identified, there is a section in Wiki that covers circuit types that will be helpful and the addition of a multi-meter to your tool kit will help ID conductors/continuity and measure voltage.
Property will be for sale later this year and I am sure the new fittings will be noticed,i will be using MK fitings through out.
MK switches, look good but the screw terminals are poor.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back