Fitting Safe in Cupboard - Hitting Metal??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

New here as I've just ran into trouble fitting my gun safe, and the officer is around tomorrow to check the my are fitted OK!

Right, I'm trying to fit the safe into a small cupboard in my room. After filling the lower hole and citing the wall plug, I attempted the top which is about 4 foot high. After a lot of battering and managing to drill 15mm deep, I had to give up as it just wouldn't go. So I gave up and tried the other side of the wall as I KNOW there is nothin on the opposite side or in the wall such as electrics or drainage. So, bottom one went in perfectly again, but the top one had the same problem at the same depth. I used a screwdriver to get all of the dust out and gag it a blOw and see a tiny shine and some small silver shavings. What could it be?!

The houses were built in the late 40's just after the war.. This has completely baffled me and I need to get this done tomorrow. I doubt cutting a plug to 15mm and bolting to this will work, so any suggestions whilst the shops are still open are very much appreciated!

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=43F87EA1B0251B65!432&authkey=!ALyew9pyxDqpkog

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=43F87EA1B0251B65!431&authkey=!ADtuV7kKxk087wk

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=43F87EA1B0251B65!430&authkey=!AP_A_B4QwZqXhaU

Thanks,
Karl

Sponsored Links
Think I'd be tempted to remove the safe and hack off a bit of plaster (where your drilling the top holes) to find out exactly what it is hitting. Could be a lateral restraint strap ??? Dunno if they had them in the forties though. ;) ;)

Is the house fitted with an old back boiler....could be being built in the 40's

If so, sounds like you are hitting the old lead pipes that transport the water. They used to bury them in the walls, they are very thick pipes and will look shiny if you have drilled them.

If you are certain there is nothing in the walls, just ignore me :LOL:

Lead is too soft to trouble a drill.

You have not describedthe wall, e.g. is it near the ceiling, what is on the other side. Post some photos.

Hack some plaster off. It might be a steel water pipe.

A gunsafe needs to be on an external wall.

It can be mounted horizontally. Hinge at the bottom is easier.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a corrugated metal roof? Some houses of that era were built with a steel frame so you could be drilling into it, Not an expert but just an idea.

I've come across steel water pipes in a house rebuilt after "the blitz" so would not be suprised if thats your problem, can you stick your head up in the loft and check out any water tanks and then see what pipes are used.

Move safe to one side.
Drill another hole 4''directly above the hole with metal 'feeling.
If no metal- Stand the safe on a 4'' x 2'' timber frame- .Fix it there !! :LOL: .
Job done !!

Failing that, spray the back of the cabinet with polyeuathane foam and stick it to the wall, i kid you not, once it has set it is part of the wall, just remove any loose plaster and brush PVA mixed with water 3-1.

A concrete encasement is a good idea no matter what way you fix it.
Very easily done.
That way a pry bar cannot be levered behind the cabinet without great difficulty.

Pred, I don't think expanding foam would do on its own.

His firearms officer is likely to require that the safe is bolted to a brick or block external wall, and concealed from view of casual visitors.

Sponsored Links
Back