Fitting skirting board where there is no plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope the title makes sense.
On ground floor with concrete base there is a gap about 4inch where no plaster is (due to damp rising I think)
Anyway, what is the best way to fix skirting board over this?
I would like the idea of expanding foam - squirt to back of board, gripfill to top of board that will sit on plaster, stick it on and hold it?

Or will this not work? lol

any tips?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Traated tile battern packed and screwed to the wall plumb with the face of the plaster will give you something solid to fix your skirting to.

I would like the idea of expanding foam - squirt to back of board, gripfill to top of board that will sit on plaster, stick it on and hold it?

Or will this not work? lol
Probably not - much more likely to overexpand and bow-out the skirting. As LadyLola says you need some form or other of packer. At a pinch and in the absence of other materials I've even used gobs of GripFill in the past - not ideal and there are limits as to how much of the stuff you can use (reallu only useful where the skim is thin) but meant that I could move on to the next issue

Cheers for the replies.

Yes I did think the foam may bow it out eventually. (I've never had much luck with the stuff)

Packing strips it is then,

cheers again

Sponsored Links
Render the gap ,with sharp sand and cement prime the gap with diluted unibond, overfill with render then screed of with straight edge,prime skirting backs then fit skirting as normal

Render the gap ,with sharp sand and cement prime the gap with diluted unibond, overfill with render then screed of with straight edge,prime skirting backs then fit skirting as normal

And if you are really worried about the damp you could always add a waterproofing additive to the cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back