fitting window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building an extention and have been told that my new windows need to be set back into the cavity and secured by straps into the inner leaf of brickwork. This is to prevent cold bridging. What kind of straps do I need and how would they be fitted without being on view?

Sponsored Links
You have been misinformed about the set-back. You don't set frames back into the cavity

The frame is normally fixed to the outer skin, but so that the the back edge of the frame covers the joint of the vDPC, or between the back edge of the outer leaf and the cavity reveal liner if you are using them

You can use the fixing clips if you like, but the frame position is the important bit.

Set them too far back and the cills wont work

Likewise for door frames

Sponsored Links
The frames are installed butted against the inside of the external leaf in Scotland, The external skin is constructed approx 10mm smaller than the inside to form a rebate.
Maybe the architect is a Scotsman :cool:

No fensa up here either.

There are fixing systems that allow the window to be positioned over the cavity, but these are pre-prescribed methods that require installation of a recipient cavity closing 'frame' which is built in by the builder. The window is then fitted into this frame later on.

Standard fix is as Woodpulp describes. It is prudent to allow the window to sit back over the cavity slightly so that here is zero contact with the outer masonry when it comes time for plastering the reveals.

Many thanks everyone your answers were most helpful. With regard to cavity closing using vertical DPC and brick I thought that all cavity closing needed to be done using propriety closings containing an inbuilt amount of insulation and that the building regs demanded it. I have learned a lot from you all on this subject.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back